Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was driving my car to work when it started acting up a little. I just filled the gas tank and whenever I was going above 40MPH, when I let off the gas the car shook (not the wheel). I live close to work so I drove the rest of the way and it continued. I couldn’t get it diagnosed until I got paid, but I needed to go to work again. On a full tank, I drove roughly 30 miles. When I went to leave work my car would not start but was cranking. I had my battery checked and it was more than fine. I think it’s either the fuel pump or timing. What should I check first to diagnose it? I’m new to working on cars and have a very small budget so I’m trying to do as much as I can on my own.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port and see if any diagnostic codes have been logged. If you don't have a scanner you get it scanned free at a local auto parts store (e.g. AutoZone).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it scanned and it was the camshaft, crankshaft position sensor. That’s the first thing I tried, we replaced the sensor and the code went away with no change to the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The signals from the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors are what the PCM uses for timing. What is the model year of the car and which engine does it have?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The problem is not the starter if it's cranking the engine over. The problem could be a fuse or relay. There's the auto shutdown (ASD) relay in the front fuse box (engine compartment) and the ASD fuses. In the rear fuse box (trunk) there's the fuel pump relay, the run relay and the run relay fuses. If the relays and fuses checkout as good, the problem could be the fuel pumps or fuel pressure regulator. Also check the wiring harness/connectors and ground straps to make sure they're not loose, frayed, corroded, etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts