Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I bought the car because it looks terrific and talks loud. I have a black on black model and love it. I do not know all the acronyms and HP for this car. I am a driver though. I drove 42, to 45 thousand miles per year and know how to drive well. I don't have the " touch " for this car yet, only 1300 miles so far, but I will. I can hear when I picked up a pebble to soda cap on the tires immediately. I know the sound of the car and know how to be 'one with the car'. Silly wording but I become part of the car or vice versa. OK now to the question, I had a slight hesitation when pulling out of the driveway and the slight thump of the car engaging the tranny, you know like a half second or three quarters of a second. The car was not warmed up at all, started and shifted, thump. When I hear and feel this on my other cars it's usually time for a trade in or get ready to fix the tranny. Perhaps I should wait a minute or two, then go. I'll keep an ear out for this potential problem. What say you?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Well, congrats on the new car and welcome to the site. I can't say there's anything wrong with the description you gave for the transmission. Worse case, your transmission may need a software update. With that said, the 8-speeds are pretty rock solid. Its rare to hear one failed.

Reactions: RedRiverII

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hey red,

You said "had", singular. If it happens again, call the dealer. I have had my transmission "clunk" so to speak recently and I chalked it up to the converter filling/engaging when the drivetrain was slack and the trans maybe changing gears at the same time maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sc, Only does it in the am early or first start. If I let it warm up a minute or two then nothing. Good looking out, thank you.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Have you had the trans fluid check to make sure you have the correct level or amount?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
St 12, No Sir I haven't. I will today, thank you for your concern, I am a dummy at times, although smart enough to get this beast. It happened again today, Started car, reverse, back up and waited for tranny to settle in, changed to drive, slight clunk then moving forward smoothly again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts