Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the winter Mods, this is what I went with:

Modern Muscle Custom Grind Cam, PSI Springs, pushrods, Phase Limiter & MDS Delete Kit:
Cam Specs: Part # MM-VVT 214-218; .609-I .598-E(1.7rr); LL-.358I .352E
@50 214I - 218E; ADV 262I - 270E; LSA - 114; ICL - 107

JBA Titanium Shorties, 3.91 Getrag Differential, AEM Wideband A/F Sensor, Dual Gauge Pillar Pod, 8.4 UConnect SRT Performance pages, Blacktop Gloss Black Grille & cooler plugs

(Boost guage takes the place of the Trinity in the pillar pod next year-Not permanent)

Dynotunning: Johan (Diablotoona)
Installation by Afterhours Mopar Performance

My baseline dyno, all stock, on a DynoJet was 315rwhp/338 ft-lbs. I had the car dyno'd with all mods and no tune on a Mustang Dyno (318/344) and across town on a DynoJet (337/365) in the middle of August. Same DynoJet as the stock baseline.

Final dyno on AMP's Mustang dyno (395/400). Car idles great right around 700-750rpms with no problems. Acceleration is amazing with the gears and increased hp. I am now looking for a set of 10" wheels to run on the back. LOL (I punched it at 35 on the way home after it dried up on the roads and the tires lost traction.) In just a few seconds I am in 3rd gear and 4th gear is just plain awesome now. The only drawback to this mod is that it shows me that I either need a stage 2 Valve body or an upgraded transmission with the VB. The gears and hp just magnifies the slow dull shifts this car has. Firmer shifts and the ability to change the shift points would be icing on the cake.

IMO, Modern Muscle has hit a home run with the 5.7L custom grind and how the car behaves. It would be great if MOPAR came up with a cam similar for the Scat Pac's they are going to offer next year.

I used my moderators (wife) I-phone to record the Cam idle during a warm start. I think you can tell this is the first time to use the phone. LOL

http://youtu.be/w6le9sWtwp8

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Way to go on getting the SRT pages added to the Daytona!

Reactions: crakkajakka15

·
Registered
160 Posts
Damn!!! Nice work! How did you get the set pages added? Just walk into the dealership and have it added?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Amazing...great stuff sounds mean with that Dynomax. Get some vid of the revs and driving.

How did you get the SRT pages?

·
12,956 Posts
Also, interesting on the cam choice. This is what Modern Muscle recommended to me:

Part # MM-VVT5.7 custom NA

HEMI VVT cam grind
.591Int - .581Exh lift w/1.65rr
@50 214I - 218E
1400-6400 RPM
Best choice for NA 5.7L VVT applications
Very strong everywhere
Will require spring upgrade and Comp Cams Limiter and custom tuning.

I wonder why the difference? Also, it looks like they're using your video on the page for this cam.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way to go on getting the SRT pages added to the Daytona!
Tks Dave, First thing I checked was to make sure the 0-60 setting was zeroed out. LOL

For those looking into getting the SRT pages, the only shop in the country that I know of is AMP down in Pompano Beach. Jon has to have access to the car in order to program the 13's that have a 8.4 Uconnect. He may be able to do the 12's also, don't know.

But if unable to drive down for the programming, I suggested on the other forum for the regional clubs to hold a dyno day and SRT performance page upgrade. Fly Johan (Diablo) and Jon (AMP) in for tuning and SRT upgrade. He only charges $60-$100 to program this depending on the amount of work being done. Might go lower than $60 for a group.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, interesting on the cam choice. This is what Modern Muscle recommended to me:

HEMI VVT cam grind
@50 214I - 218E
1400-6400 RPM
Very strong everywhere

I wonder why the difference? Also, it looks like they're using your video on the page for this cam.
When it stops raining I will go out to the trunk and look at the cam specs. I pulled the info posted above off of their website over a month ago when I got it. The comp cam sticker with the specs on it may be different than what I posted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wonder if they could program the pages if the 8.4 was removed and shipped to them.

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Freaking sweet man!!! I know you're in seventh heaven and I bet that puppy scoots out with 395 rwhp and the 391 gears. I was amazed at how fast mine ran through the gears after my rear end swap. That cam is making some great power for you! :TU:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

HEMI VVT cam grind
@50 214I - 218E
1400-6400 RPM
Very strong everywhere

I would call and talk to Dave Weber at MM. I just looked at my warranty card and the specs I posted are the same. You have the same 5.7L as I do. This cam Idles perfectly and has a little thump in the drivers seat that lets you know it is there. Not rough at all, but pleasantly noticable on occasion.

·
12,956 Posts
Jerry,

I've actually been talking with Chris Boegler over at MM. From what I can tell, you usually get one or the other. Would you mind sending me a pm with your last name, so I can make sure I'm on the same page with them?

Also, I know you said you were taking it easy on your drive back, but have you been able to get any kind of feel for how your gas mileage has been affected? I still need to decide about the MDS delete kit. Chris says I don't need to do it with the cam change, but I've also heard the MDS lifters are "weaker".

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very nice.
Quick question, in the pic of the front clip, it says this is the way it should come. What was changed?
I blacked out all my badging and exhaust tips on the back and that was a huge difference, but I dont see what was changed with the front.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jerry,

I've actually been talking with Chris Boegler over at MM. From what I can tell, you usually get one or the other. Would you mind sending me a pm with your last name, so I can make sure I'm on the same page with them?

Also, I know you said you were taking it easy on your drive back, but have you been able to get any kind of feel for how your gas mileage has been affected? I still need to decide about the MDS delete kit. Chris says I don't need to do it with the cam change, but I've also heard the MDS lifters are "weaker".

PM sent with Comp Cams product info and stock number. I wonder if Chris (Modern Muscle) is related to Scott (AMP)? Same last name!

Gas mileage I will have to check after I get another updated tune from Johan. I was getting 15 mpg on the way back but that was the second day after the gears were broke in and I was going WOT when able. A Camaro SS pulled up on me doing around 65mph in light traffic. He looked over and floored it so I did the same when he was one car length in front. The sweet spot for this cam and our gears is right at 50-65, the car dropped down to third and I pasted him up in just a few seconds. He backed off just as I was about 2 cars lengths in front. He pulled back up at 65mph and gave the thumbs up. He must have been in an automatic and he looked stock with no exhaust mods. LOL

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice.
Quick question, in the pic of the front clip, it says this is the way it should come. What was changed?
I blacked out all my badging and exhaust tips on the back and that was a huge difference, but I dont see what was changed with the front.

Thanks for sharing.
Got my exhaust tips blacked out also, the Grille is a gloss black "Blacktop" grille. The stock daytona for 2013 comes with a matte black grille and R/T heritage badge just like the Road and track pack. Looks sweet with the SRT side rockers. I am not a fan of the whole SRT front fascia so I just went with the blacktop grille insert mod. AMP used the old R/T badge and actually placed it a little lower in the grille. (Hard to see in the pic)

·
12,956 Posts
And another thing.... :D

I just re-read your post for about the 10th time and this time I noticed you installed colder plugs. Did they explain the reasoning for that? I know nitrous cars usually run a couple of steps colder.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.
I have a quick question, How did you black out the chrome exhaust tips? I had quads, then went back to the stock and used black BBQ spray paint but every other month a chip develops and I have to re-sand and spray over again.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And another thing.... :D

I just re-read your post for about the 10th time and this time I noticed you installed colder plugs. Did they explain the reasoning for that? I know nitrous cars usually run a couple of steps colder.
Not required. I had them change out the plugs because I did not want to fool with it at the recommended 30,000 mile interval. These are just plugs that will last around 75,000 miles. (Two plugs per cylinder and they need to be torqued just right. I figured why not have them do it.LOL)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts