Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I drove to town, 3 miles to fill with gas. Started missing after 1 mile. Died at the pump. Wouldn’t start unless throttle was on the floor. Smelling gas. Towed to dealer and they found 3 out of 8 pistons were beat up. See pic. 2018 Dodge Scat Pack with 17k. Has been in heated storage since last October. I start and bring to operating temp every 2 weeks. Has been running great. As you can see by the picture something went through the motor. Also has a bent valve. Dealer is going to install a new motor. Has anyone seen this before?
Thanks, John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll keep you all posted. The dealer tech thought that a valve guide came apart. He hadn’t disassembled the head yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, something been bouncing around in there a lot, huh?????
Yes, but I find it odd that it’s only on the outer edge of the piston. I’ve rebuilt hundreds of motors over the years and whenever I had one that had something bouncing around inside it did a lot more damage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ll keep you all posted. The dealer tech thought that a valve guide came apart. He hadn’t disassembled the head yet.
Hi Leisch, thank you for following up to provide this update. I'm glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we are just a PM away.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S
Hi Leisch, thank you for following up to provide this update. I'm glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we are just a PM away.
Rob
DodgeCares
Spoke with the dealer today. They disassembled the cylinder heads today and found that the bottom end of a valve guide came apart. I have never seen that happen. Anyone else?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love the title of this, so appropriate!, and no never seen a guide come apart. Seats and plenty of valves themselves but never a guide, ??. Terrible luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have also seen valves and seats destroy an engine, but this is a new one for me. I’m just frustrated with the dealer as it took 2 weeks to figure out the problem and now the wait for dodge to approve the motor replacement. Also there is the reduction in value of the vehicle as the motor replacement will be on the carfax.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, it's horrible all around... Sux man, I wouldn't trust them to pull and swap let alone the extra depreciation. Shit like that just ruins it, feel for ya. ??...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got a text from the dealer service manager. He ordered the new motor yesterday. Now it’s the waiting game.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just got a text from the dealer service manager. He ordered the new motor yesterday. Now it’s the waiting game.
Hi Leisch, Thank you for the update. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we are just a PM away.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New motor is in. Runs great! Hopefully there’s no more problems. Love this car! The dealer did a great job!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad you're running again!!! Hold your mouth rite while ya drive this one and stay away from black cats and maybe mirrors too.. You've got my luck and that ain't good!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts