Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 Dodge Charger RT and I love it. I have noticed a more pronounced deceleration when I let off of the accelerator than I have experienced with other cars in the past. It is more pronounced in lower gears. This current car is my first experience with a Charger, v8 engine, and updated computer systems (my car before this was a 1998) . Obviously, a car will lose speed if I let off of the gas pedal, but the Charger seems to coast less than other cars I have experienced. I'm not sure if this is something to do with the weight of the car, the type of engine, fuel efficiency systems, etc. or if it is something I should be concerned about.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Part of it is the gearing ratios. The 5-speed transmission gears are as follows:
1st = 3.59
2nd = 2.19
3rd = 1.41
4th = 1.00
5th = 0.83

As the transmission downshifts through the gears the difference becomes greater as you drop from 5th to 1st; with the biggest difference occurring from 3rd to 1st. The rear axle ratio also makes a difference. If you have the 3.06 rear gears the downshifting is felt more than with the 2.65 rear gears. You can find out your car's rear axles ratio by looking at the Build Sheet (Equipment Listing) ... see link below.
The other thing that contributes to the deceleration is the factory tune. In order to improve MPG the fuel injection will shut off fuel to the engine when you take your foot completely off the accelerator. This may save fuel but it also increases engine braking.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

After entering your car's VIN#, if the website responds with "vehicle not found", enter the VIN with all CAPS.

·
Registered
428 Posts
yup...what he said ^^^^...my AWD does the same...quite pronounced....and I definitely like it. feels like downshifting a manual..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts