Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today while merging onto the interstate, I found that my car has developed a bad vibration. It was not there last night while on the interstate and while cruising at normal in-town speeds it is not there. Once I get over 55-60mph the vibration starts and wont go away until I get down to around 50mph. Thinking that it may have been one of my wheels out of balance, I put my stock wheels back on and the problem didn't go away. I really don't feel the vibration in the steering, it is spread out throughout the car.

Any idea what it could be???

·
Registered
436 Posts
You should probably play a little Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. That'll turn your bad vibrations into good ones. Seriously though, have you checked the front hubs?

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pretty much lost day light after I did the test drive with the stock's back on. The problem is that I have no idea what to look for.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I pretty much lost day light after I did the test drive with the stock's back on. The problem is that I have no idea what to look for.:4-dontknow:

Is the vibration in the steering wheel or seat ? what im saying is if you feel it in the steering the n vibration is located in the front of car , if you feel it in the seat the vibration is most likey in the rear of the car, it does not necessarily give the cause but it does give you a starting point

Bill

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the vibration in the steering wheel or seat ? what im saying is if you feel it in the steering the n vibration is located in the front of car , if you feel it in the seat the vibration is most likey in the rear of the car, it does not necessarily give the cause but it does give you a starting point

Bill
The vibration is not in the steering, you feel it in the seat. The bad thing is that I really couldn't narrow it down if it was the front or back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The vibration is not in the steering, you feel it in the seat. The bad thing is that I really couldn't narrow it down if it was the front or back.
If it is in the seat most likely coming from rear of car, what is the last thing i.e maintenance/mods etc.. you performed on the car ? in reagrds to rear section of the car

Bill

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it is in the seat most likely coming from rear of car, what is the last thing i.e maintenance/mods etc.. you performed on the car ? in reagrds to rear section of the car

Bill

I put lowering springs on about 6 months ago and had the car at the dealership on Wednesday for an oil change.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I put lowering springs on about 6 months ago and had the car at the dealership on Wednesday for an oil change.
I would start out by looking at the Driveshaft coupler and or the driveshaft loop , are you prone to burnouts or drag radials or slicks, I know it seems tedious but the littlest detail ..makes the world of difference

Bill

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would start out by looking at the Driveshaft coupler and or the driveshaft loop , are you prone to burnouts or drag radials or slicks, I know it seems tedious but the littlest detail ..makes the world of difference

Bill
I posted this on the DSM site also and the driveshaft was brought up over there too.

I don't do burnouts and just have 20" wheels with hankook tires.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I posted this on the DSM site also and the driveshaft was brought up over there too.

I don't do burnouts and just have 20" wheels with hankook tires.
What you want look at as far as the coupler ( which is rubber ) they have steel inserts and they tend to warp/disfigure , , jack car up (rear) leave it in park and see if you can rotate DS , you should have virtually no play trying to rotate it side to side ( dont get me wrong there will slight wiggle room) also listen for sloppiness pushing DS up and down

Bill

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I jacked the car back up to check the driveshaft and there was no movement at all in it. i check the rubber coupler and thought at first it was warped. After taking a closer look at it, it was just the way it was made and that at every other bolt there is a "step up" on the coupler.So with that being said, I went ahead and put my aftermarket wheels back on and I am back to square one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Maybe try getting your rear wheels "Road force balanced" Find a place that has the machine. I had to do that i had tire kingdom balance my tires and the front was ok but the back still wasnt right. The guy at tire kingdom said most balancers are up to 35 mph. I went to rent n roll ( they have a road force machine) it puts a load on the tire on the rim and it speeds up to 75mph and after doing it..............Car is smooth as glass brother:TU:

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe try getting your rear wheels "Road force balanced" Find a place that has the machine. I had to do that i had tire kingdom balance my tires and the front was ok but the back still wasnt right. The guy at tire kingdom said most balancers are up to 35 mph. I went to rent n roll ( they have a road force machine) it puts a load on the tire on the rim and it speeds up to 75mph and after doing it..............Car is smooth as glass brother:TU:
I thought that it might have been the tires/wheels but it is happening no matter what wheels are on the car, stocks or my Vipers.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea i skiped over where you posted that already:dork:well at least you know for sure on that note then

·
'15 Shaker Bee Challenger
6,727 Posts
Do you have sways on your car?

My last car I had Aftermarket Sways put on and had a vibration on the car after a few months

The guy at the shop said it was the bushings, replaced them and vibration was gone. :4-dontknow:

This was almost 8 Years ago on my Stratus Coupe, so I cant remember too many more details on it.

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have sways on your car?

My last car I had Aftermarket Sways put on and had a vibration on the car after a few months

The guy at the shop said it was the bushings, replaced them and vibration was gone. :4-dontknow:

This was almost 8 Years ago on my Stratus Coupe, so I cant remember too many more details on it.

Ni, I didn't have aftermarket sways installed.

Another note you may look at is the Rear Differential may need to be serviced.

Could be the rear coupler between the drive shaft and rear differential.
That may be the case, now thinking back when I got the oil changed they recommended I get the rear differential flush at m next oil change.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts