Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if there is any difference in the R/T's between 2006-2009? Does one have better or less build quality because one might be built at a different factory? HP difference, transmission, interior or anything would help. Its gonna be eight months before i buy one but i was too anxious to wait that long to ask questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
The base R/T in 2006 had 340HP but with the R&T package you got 350HP. For the '09 R/T i think 390HP is standard for all 5.7 engines but i might be wrong. As far as build quality, id say you can only get better as the years go on and you learn what works and what doesnt work but you never know with these companies if they skimp out or not. I do know that the bushings they use from the factory suck no matter what year you got but they should last you a couple years before you have to worry about them. Its mainly the control arm bushings but there are aftermarket bushings that you can replace them with for pretty cheap and they quality is much better. Other than that, I have had my used '06 R/T for 2 years and dont have any complaints about it. Almost 50k miles on it and its still running smooth and strong. If you get an R/T you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
888 Posts
With the deals today I don't think you can go wrong, there are some minor changes to the interior from 07 to 08/09. The main difference is the new generation engine for 09 which has a little more horsepower and a gain of 1 mpg! Also I have noticed the R/T wheels are different if you care about the kind of thing, being chrome-clad (fancy word for plastic coverings) on the 08/09. The tail lights on the 09 are slightly different.

·
Registered
212 Posts
DUDE! I hate my comp., I had alot of info before the webpage expired.

SPECIFICATIONS

MODEL: Dodge Charger R/T
ENGINE: 5.7-liter V8
HORSEPOWER/TORQUE: 340 hp @ 5000 rpm/390 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 5-speed automatic with AutoStick
WHEELBASE: 120.0 in.
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT: 200.1 x 74.5 x 58.2 in.
TIRES: P225/60R18
CARGO VOLUME: 16.2 cu. ft.
ECONOMY: 17 mpg city/25 mpg highway
PRICE: $29,995 (includes $675 destination charge)
There are some cars that you know are going to be pretty neat as soon as you sit in them. This is one of those cars.
First, it's a great design. I'm not overly thrilled with the corporate Dodge grille, but n the Charger, it grows on you. What I loved was the overall concept, from the slight "shark nose" to the kick-up over the rear wheels that reminded me of some older Chevys and Cadillacs and has also returned in the Buick LaCrosse. This gives greater definition to the rear fender than a slab-sided design would give.
Also, it was my first sedan in a while after a string of trucks and SUVs, so it was destined to become an instant favorite without even trying.
In addition, the Charger has very clean black-on-white instruments that are easy to read. They are located in four deep nacelles for the major gauges. Audio and HVAC controls are fairly standard for Chrysler products.
I liked the steering wheel, although the Mercedes-Benz-style cruise control stalk located just above the turn signal lever occasionally caused some problems. While I like the design of the stalk, there must be a better location for it. I've had problems with it in Mercedes-Benzes, the Chrysler 300 and now the Dodge Charger.
Under the hood is a 5.7-liter "Hemi" V8 that delivers 340 horsepower through a 5-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick, Chrysler's name for a manual mode to the automatic. The Charger only weighs 3800 pounds (isn't that awfully close to what a NASCAR stocker weighs?), so 340 horses are more than adequate. With the automatic, acceleration is excellent, and you can reach illegal speeds quite quickly.
This engine also employs Chrysler's Multi-Displacement System, which deactivates four of the cylinders under light throttle conditions to save fuel. The economy listing for the Charger are 17 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. The 25 mpg figure recognizes the use of only four cylinders when you're tooling along on the Interstate. Several people have asked whether this system, and the one used by some GM cars, is like the old 8-6-4 system used on older Cadillacs. My stock answer is that it's similar, in that the goal of using fewer cylinders when they aren't needed is the same, but the results are better. These systems actually work.
Handling is also very good. We took the Charger on our favorite winding hilly road and it performed quite well. This is a big car (now the 3,800 pounds is a detriment), but it handled like a smaller one.
Sometime during our test the Charger developed a vibration. It could have been an off-balance wheel or tire, or it could have been internal, but in any case it was just above the threshold of being silent or invisible, so it was at that annoying spot. I haven't read of other testers having a similar problem, so my guess was that it was an out-of-balance tire.
Between the two front bucket seats is a deep center console with a pair of cup holders. There were two nice cubbys, one in the center stack and one below it in the console. These were handy for storing cell phones and small items.
The front seats offered excellent side support and had comfortable headrests. The headrests seemed to be located in the ideal position for me. Quite often they're located NOT for me, but these hit me in just the right spot.
The rear seats offered excellent legroom and footroom. Quite often, we don't notice footroom as an asset, but when I placed my tootsies under the front seat, there was room to move them around. There's a fold-down armrest in the middle of the rear bench seat that held two cup holders.
In addition, the rear seat back folds flat to increase trunk volume. There's a small pull loop to accomplish this feat, so it's an easy transformation. Even without the added volume of the back seat, the trunk is a good size. It's listed at 16.2 cubic feet, large enough for a couple of golf bags. There's also a cargo net in the trunk to keep grocery bags from sliding around.
The heavy front hood needs a brace to keep it open. There's a huge engine cover, but all the important things (oil dipstick and filler cap, windshield washer fluid filler and battery terminals) are clearly marked or easy to find.
The Charger and Magnum (a crossover vehicle) are similar, but the Charger is a pure sedan, which is nice in this modern world of SUVs, trucks, minivans and what-have-yous. I liked it.

Pros

• Ride/handling
  • Passenger and cargo room
  • Acceleration (SRT8)
Cons

• Fuel economy (SRT8)
  • Rear visibility
Vehicle Highlights

The 2009 Dodge Charger gets more available V8 power and a few new features. This large car shares its basic design with Chrysler's 300 sedan. Dodge's Magnum wagon, which also shared the Charger's basic design, has been discontinued. Charger comes in four trim levels: base SE, mid-level SXT, sporty R/T, and high-performance SRT8. All are rear-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive is available on the SXT and R/T. SE models have a 178-hp 2.7-liter V6 engine and a 4-speed automatic transmission. Optional on SE and standard on SXT is a 250-hp 3.5-liter V6; a 4-speed automatic transmission is standard with rear-wheel drive while AWD versions have a 5-speed. R/T models get a new version of Chrysler's 5.7-liter Hemi V8 with 370 hp, an increase of 30 hp over 2008 models. R/T has a 5-speed automatic and Chrysler's Multi-Displacement System cylinder deactivation. The SRT8 has a 425-hp 6.1-liter Hemi V8 and a 5-speed automatic without cylinder deactivation. Available safety features include ABS, traction control, antiskid system, curtain side airbags, and front side airbags. Optional on the R/T is the Road/Track Performance Package, which includes 20-inch wheels, performance suspension, and heated front seats. The SRT8 has unique suspension tuning, as well as specific interior and exterior trim. Newly available on the 2009 Dodge Charger is Chrysler's uconnect multimedia suite, which can include a wireless cell phone link, 30-gigabyte hard drive for storing digital music and picture files, and a navigation system with real-time traffic information.

·
Registered
454 Posts
well as for exterior stuff 06-07 no roof antena, its mounted on you rear windsheild. and 08-09 its huge on your roof.

center console is diffrent, and tail lights have a cut out . as for engines i think there is a little more like 19-25 hp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well as for exterior stuff 06-07 no roof antena, its mounted on you rear windsheild. and 08-09 its huge on your roof.
I have an 09 R/T, I have a hockey puck on my roof, not a big goofy whip. I think if you get sirius or nav, you get the hockey puck instead of the whip, but I honestly have no idea.

ETA: I'm in love with my Charger. I almost bought a Chally, but I went with the Charger because it is one bad ass grocery getter. The '09s are sweet, as Espi said, the tail lights are different, they stand out a little more and I think they really look great. If you are looking to buy, I would say now's the time. There are some killer deals going on. Good luck.

Yeah, that's 4 edits in five minutes...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with and 08 or an 09. WE could have taken one or the other in December but the 08 was much cheeper and we could not really tell the HP difference on a low impact test drive. I am sure if you put the peddle to the floor the difference will show good luck with you decision

·
Registered
440 Posts
I bought my 07 R/T with R&T may 20th 07. After shopping Chargers for months I knew the instant I sat down in this one, that I was taking it home with me. I love the car more now than I did the day I bought it. Its not had to go back for anything. And the car does everything good. I've had Chargers, Nets and Rams sense 1969. This is my 7th Charger and everyone of them have been great cars. In fact I still have my 69 R/T,SE and my 73 SE Brougham.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input! Especially Super Bee, you said a mouth full. I just now hope i can wait eight months to get one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to know if there is any difference in the R/T's between 2006-2009? Does one have better or less build quality because one might be built at a different factory? HP difference, transmission, interior or anything would help. Its gonna be eight months before i buy one but i was too anxious to wait that long to ask questions. Thanks!
The 2006 through 2008 base R/T has 340 HP while the Daytona had 350 HP the 2009 R/T comes with 368 HP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts