Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys it's that time when I have to start shopping for tires and you can tell by the tufts of hair everywhere what kind of luck I'm having finding the tire I want in an overall diameter and width I find acceptable. I really don't have the money to buy new rims so I need to work with what I got.

So I need your help on two questions;

One is can I get away with squeezing a tire with a min rim recommendation of 8" on a 7 1/2" rim?

Two is what is the maximum section width I can get away with before I need to start worrying about rubbing? I'm not lowered and the stock Pilots are 9.7 width and the ones I'm looking at are 11.2" Do you think they will clear?

Thanks for your guy's help I really need it! I'm at my wits end trying to get a combo I like to work. I hate to spend 800 on new tires and not be able to get any more noticable meat to the tread.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Check with jontoad, he'll be able to help.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have seen guys with 295 in the rear I think that's the max before rub and in the front I would say 275. I had 275 in the front but it would rub in reverse only very minimal though. As for series I say 55 max or it will look funny but only pics will tell. Hope I was some help.

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Texas the ones I'm looking at are 285s and wanted to make sure they'll clear the fender but all is moot if I can't get it on a rim size 1/2" smaller than it calls for. I only drive it about 5k a year so I'm not concerned about a perfect ride but I don't want to have to frive it like it's on glass either.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The 1/2" is not enough to matter. I've ran 255/50 on 7.5's for years.

Reactions: RenoRob

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't think so thanks for confirming it for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts