Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I live in Michigan I know snow tires are beneficial. For sure I wouldn’t get them if it weren’t for the fact I have 305 width tires on the back now with less than 1/4” clearance to the inside liner where it’s closest so I’m worried about what will happen when snow gets jammed up there. Anyone have experience driving in snow with close tire clearances? Should I get snow tires? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
OK, I live in Michigan I know snow tires are beneficial. For sure I wouldn’t get them if it weren’t for the fact I have 305 width tires on the back now with less than 1/4” clearance to the inside liner where it’s closest so I’m worried about what will happen when snow gets jammed up there. Anyone have experience driving in snow with close tire clearances? Should I get snow tires? Thanks.
Generally you are correct, the less clearance you have inside the well, and depending on the amount of snow you are driving in, will get caught up there and with wider tires, could cause issues with full turning radius....but I could be wrong, as my car is lowered, and I run 235's cause of the AWD, 19's and I get snow caught in my wells quite often and I have to clear it and get do get above average rub with the added packed snow/slush/ice...

As far as snow tires go, I always run dedicated snow/winter tires on my setup here in Colo and usually run Blizzaks or Hakkapeliittas and they never fail me!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Generally you are correct, the less clearance you have inside the well, and depending on the amount of snow you are driving in, will get caught up there and with wider tires, could cause issues with full turning radius....but I could be wrong, as my car is lowered, and I run 235's cause of the AWD, 19's and I get snow caught in my wells quite often and I have to clear it and get do get above average rub with the added packed snow/slush/ice...

As far as snow tires go, I always run dedicated snow/winter tires on my setup here in Colo and usually run Blizzaks or Hakkapeliittas and they never fail me!
^^^ What Maxx said. If mine were RWD here in Western PA (or there in Michigan), I'd definitely invest in winter treads. As it stands, I run 235s with my AWD, all season tires, and have no grip issues.

Reactions: MadMaxx

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Should I get snow tires?
If you get any snow where you live in Michigan the answer is yes; especially if you have 305 rear tires. We don't get any snow here where I live but I was in New Mexico with 3" to 4" of slush & snow on the road. I had 265 Goodyear Eagle GT M&S (mud & snow) All-Season tires ... they were worthless for traction. The torque of the 5.7L Hemi would spin the wheels every time; even on level ground & traction control On. I have the 5-speed transmission and had to use 2nd gear, from a standing-start, to get the car moving forward. I just released the brakes and let the car move forward at idle speed. Then slowly accelerated from there. Still got some wheel spin but it did get the car moving forward.

Reactions: MadMaxx

·
Vendor
36 Posts
We are based in Michigan and can confirm that you are definitely going to want snow tires! We did one winter without on my charger and it was terrible. Once you lose traction, your traction control will kick in and you will lose all momentum. That was with 245's on it. We have 275 and 305 on it now so I imagine it would be worse. Check out a used tire place and grab a extra set of rims and some snow tires. You can get a set of 18's at a decent price which in turn will save you on the cost of tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts