Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a lifter fail, instead of fixing it I am going to trade out of it. I want another Charger. All the information I have found on the lifter and cam issues seem to effect mostly 2011-2012 cars.

is that correct or are there plenty of instances where the effect 2013+ 5.7s as well as 2013+ SRT.

Thank you guys for your time and your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right now I have a 2012 RT 5.7 with 129k miles on the clock. If I do the repair is it going to be more efficient to upgrade to after market?

In addition to the cam and the lifters, what else should I get to have them replace while they have the engine opened up?

I am having trouble finding information on just a stock replacement. most information is for aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I don't have any information on the failure rate for the Gen III Hemi lifters ... so I can't say which model years are better or worse. From what I have seen posted, it seems the MDS (Multiple Displacement System) lifters are the weaker ones that fail. MDS lifters are the lifters for cylinders 1,4,6, and 7. The other cylinders have non-MDS lifters.
If you're replacing the cam & all the lifters you will need to decide if you want MDS lifters or all non-MDS lifters (MDS delete). Some owners go with all non-MDS lifters and eliminate MDS. If you do eliminate MDS you will need to replace the MDS solenoids with MDS plugs & tune the engine to shut off MDS. Shutting off MDS is done using a DiabloSport tuner and modifying the parameters in the ECM/PCM.

I still have my MDS lifters but I have MDS turned off ... so the MDS lifters never activate/deactivate (i.e. never collapse to deactivate the cylinder).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was Cylinder #5. And I have only seen once case of a 2013+ 6.4 failing. I don’t recall seeing any reports on a 2015+ 5.7. Mostly 2009-2012 is what I see. I almost traded into a 2012 a couple times so I don’t want to be trading to a car with the same issue.

I finally have a list of own parts that one will need to complete the task of the repair.

My concern is, even though my car has been very well maintained, there are still things that are going to fail and go out just because of the age and the above average use of the car.

They are machines, things go out over time.

A lifter wiping out a cam is normally something you do have to worry about when meeting certain levels maintenance but some things that go out have nothing to do with how wel you have taken care of the car they just go out.

This is going to cost me a lot of money just to get it on the road. I do not want to dump this much money into it again so I think trading is something I must do

Before this happens my Charger has been the most reliable car I have ever had, I am probably going to get another one and I don’t want to have the same lifter issue in
The future

·
Registered
258 Posts
Naturally, it's your car and you can do what you want, but if this is the only problem you have had and the car has been well maintained it makes no sense to me to trade it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it would be throwing a lot of money away I have spent to make sure this thing could last 10 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts