Dodge Charger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Full disclosure - Im currently still with the 2013 Charger that I got brand new in the fall of 2012.

That being said, if I was going through all the trouble of modifications like those you mentioned, it'd be better to start with a stronger base i.e. v8 instead of a v6.
Ton more aftermarket support out there for crate engines with forged internals.

Then again, I'm not as young anymore, so time is also a crucial factor (for me)..
I get that. But the reason I chose the v6 was because it was good on insurance. It has a relatively good gas mileage. And It came in AWD. And it was more affordable than a v8 was.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ok so I have a question about Danko Reproductions. They have built a shaker hood for the car. The 3.6l v6. Would the shaker hood help draw air into the car and increase hp? Or would it just stay the same?
I believe that Shaker is for Hemis only...I have yet to see one built for a Pentastar.

For the most part, Shakers are cosmetic only..in some cases people have tested and found that they ended up drawing in a lot more hotter air from the engine compartment (the shaker helps feed into an open CAI usually vs what the close box factory system does for the non-shaker models.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I believe that Shaker is for Hemis only...I have yet to see one built for a Pentastar.

For the most part, Shakers are cosmetic only..in some cases people have tested and found that they ended up drawing in a lot more hotter air from the engine compartment (the shaker helps feed into an open CAI usually vs what the close box factory system does for the non-shaker models.
There you should be able to look under Shaker engine type and there it should be. I am looking at a cold air intake as well to go with it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
There you should be able to look under Shaker engine type and there it should be. I am looking at a cold air intake as well to go with it.
Thats for the 3.5 v6...!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My second mods list that I came up with:
Coilovers
Bodykit
Paint (demon paint job. I've always loved that color)
Window tint
Headlight tint
Tail light tint
Ported throttle body
Ported upper and lower intake manifold
CAI
tuner
Tazer
Pedal commander
Intercooler

Which brings me to a couple of questions:
Hemispherical V6 pistions?
Custom carbon fiber dash?
Is there a lighter weight dodge steering wheel?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So...I am getting a car that probably has 70,000 miles or more. So what about a junkyard turbo build. Do you think that the car can handle that? I'm only looking to get a little but more hp out of the car. Not to much. Maybe 2 to 5 psi? I don't have a ton of money right now to do this stuff. So I'm trying to come up with better ways to get it. Also does anybody know what else I can sync some switches to besides headlights tail lights and starter? Maybe like a performance option? I would like some suggestions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would personally put money, effort, and time into the car first and foremost to make sure it is in prime shape. All fluid services, Any worn suspension components.

The NAG1 can benefits from a deep sump Pan which adds extra fluid capacity and cooling.

Brakes, You have not mentioned brakes at all. These would rank higher than any mod IMO. Look into doing a BR8 min or at least BR9 Pursuit setup to ensure future plans does not leave the power outpacing the stopping ability.

In the world of mods, What looks good should never matter. Chrome does not get you home. I accept reliability over show and tell any day. There are a few reasons why when I take my charger to the Dragstrip, or Dragons Tail I can keep going back after back without much concern as my first mods were sustained-ability of the car being able to handle a thrashing.

Honestly, Unless you have already gotten the car, a Pursuit would be much more better starting platform performance wise as it will already ahve many various upgrades to it. And they can be found cheap, and with AWD.

·
Registered
888 Posts
700 HP in the Penstar? I wish I had your budget!
Honestly, find a V8 AWD, forge it, Supercharge it, find a performance AWD trans builder, and be money ahead.
Respectfully, you are trying to put 5lbs of sand in a 1lb bag. But with enough money..............

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I would personally put money, effort, and time into the car first and foremost to make sure it is in prime shape. All fluid services, Any worn suspension components.

The NAG1 can benefits from a deep sump Pan which adds extra fluid capacity and cooling.

Brakes, You have not mentioned brakes at all. These would rank higher than any mod IMO. Look into doing a BR8 min or at least BR9 Pursuit setup to ensure future plans does not leave the power outpacing the stopping ability.

In the world of mods, What looks good should never matter. Chrome does not get you home. I accept reliability over show and tell any day. There are a few reasons why when I take my charger to the Dragstrip, or Dragons Tail I can keep going back after back without much concern as my first mods were sustained-ability of the car being able to handle a thrashing.

Honestly, Unless you have already gotten the car, a Pursuit would be much more better starting platform performance wise as it will already ahve many various upgrades to it. And they can be found cheap, and with AWD.
Don't they come with a v8 engine though?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
700 HP in the Penstar? I wish I had your budget!
Honestly, find a V8 AWD, forge it, Supercharge it, find a performance AWD trans builder, and be money ahead.
Respectfully, you are trying to put 5lbs of sand in a 1lb bag. But with enough money..............
I know I am but I'm up for a challenge. My parents will not let me get a v8.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know I am but I'm up for a challenge. My parents will not let me get a v8.
They can come with the 3.6 or 5.7 engines. Although I think all Pursuit AWD are Hemi's though oddly enough. Not sure though.

So, your parents won't let you get a V6, but seem okay with you wanting to put many thousands of dollars into it to make it faster? Kinda does not make sense there.

Honestly the 3.6 is pretty maxxed out for power as it is. There really is not much else that can be done to it without alot of money that would get you a hellcat or better car. There is a reason why so many have talked about doing all great things with the SXT based V6s, and we never see it happen to the level they say it will.

There is a difference of spending money, and wasting money. And your list of mods remind me more of a pimp my ride deal than actual performance grounded stuff.

All pomp and sass, but underneath not much going on to show for it.

Over extended and un asked for advice here, Get a fun car that will get you where you need to go, then add some wants without sacrificing the need. I drove a 93 Eagle Vision for 16 years while alot of friends had flashier, faster cars. When I bought my home, with no financial help beyond through the sale deal at 28 all of those folks were still renting apartments, living with parents, and had more car payments than they could honestly afford. I did not get my Charger Pursuit til I was 31.

I think said this in other ways, but once you stop worrying about whatever everybody else thinks of you from what you drive and own, the better off you will be. Cause any large group of humans who made Honey Boo Boo so famous is not exactly the type I need to impress.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Over extended and un asked for advice here, Get a fun car that will get you where you need to go, then add some wants without sacrificing the need. I drove a 93 Eagle Vision for 16 years while alot of friends had flashier, faster cars. When I bought my home, with no financial help beyond through the sale deal at 28 all of those folks were still renting apartments, living with parents, and had more car payments than they could honestly afford. I did not get my Charger Pursuit til I was 31.

I think said this in other ways, but once you stop worrying about whatever everybody else thinks of you from what you drive and own, the better off you will be. Cause any large group of humans who made Honey Boo Boo so famous is not exactly the type I need to impress.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Your priorities WILL change as you age...a little delayed gratification does no harm!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
They can come with the 3.6 or 5.7 engines. Although I think all Pursuit AWD are Hemi's though oddly enough. Not sure though.

So, your parents won't let you get a V6, but seem okay with you wanting to put many thousands of dollars into it to make it faster? Kinda does not make sense there.

Honestly the 3.6 is pretty maxxed out for power as it is. There really is not much else that can be done to it without alot of money that would get you a hellcat or better car. There is a reason why so many have talked about doing all great things with the SXT based V6s, and we never see it happen to the level they say it will.

There is a difference of spending money, and wasting money. And your list of mods remind me more of a pimp my ride deal than actual performance grounded stuff.

All pomp and sass, but underneath not much going on to show for it.

I would go with performance over other stuff any day. But I can afford some of both. This is not a pimp my ride deal. The v6 charger is the best for me. And what my parents will let me get and modify a little bit. I'm not worried about anyone else liking the car. I'm worried about me doing to much to it so people decide to mess with it. Thats why I'm going to do a wing and than all of the mechanical stuff.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts