Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was wondering if the 2016 Charger R/T I have would actually benefit from a CAI here in Arizona. I have heard mixed opinions about adding a CAI. Will it add horsepower? Is it safe for the engine? Will it actually benefit my engine in Arizona heat? thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. No. Sure. No.

Most CAIs are about looks and sound. They don't really add horsepower, because your stock airbox already draws cold air. In fact, most aftermarket intakes draw warm engine compartment air, which can actually degrade performance.
Appreciate the response, what do you recommend to increase HP? Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Appreciate the response, what do you recommend to increase HP? Thanks
A 6.4 intake is not a bad idea. You can wire it up to make it active or just leave it as-is for some extra power down low. If it's in your budget, a cam and some shorty headers should give you a good power boost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use the stock airbox. Later 15+ models can easily do this mod due ot shared parts. But I stole the idea and Ace Hardwared it for $10 bucks. Stock airbox pulls air from inside fender area as inside front grille area. Watching my Torq Pro app while moving intake temps are below 5 degrees difference between IAT and OAT.

In short, do the hellcat lower airbox with snorkel.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
I like my CAI. I feel that it increases the engine breathing capability. If you ask the cold air intake manufacturers, they will show you varying dyno test results with increases of up to 15-16 horse power. Cooler air and cooler intake help your power. Some people remove the engine cover. As far as the heat in AZ, you may want to consider wrapping the intake tube with some insulating type of material. The intake tube does get hot. If you really want to increase your power, you have to consider a tuner and other expensive modifications like heads, intake, headers, supercharger, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts