Dodge Charger Forum banner

Don't know what it may be... help!!!

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Sparky13 
#1 ·
Hello everybody new to the whole forum thing, but I recently encountered a problem with my Dodge Charger 06 3.5L. I turned the car on perfectly, drove away and parked. Tried to turn it back on and the car wouldn't start. No clicking, no crank, nothing. The radio works, the dashboard and lights. But wouldn't start up. For some reason the door seems to chime, even though the keys aren't in the ignition. Tried jumping the car, no luck... I tried switching the battery and nothing happened. Please help. What can it be?? Don't know what to do now?? Today I tried to unlock my car with the automatic unlock button on my keys and it didn't work. It seems my new battery was drained by the car :( literally overnight.

#4 ·
If you tried jumping it and putting in a new battery and it still didn't even turn the engine over then your starter could be shot. That would explain why you still have power but the engine won't even turn over and you don't hear any clicking.
Could it be the ignition switch actuator? I forgot to mention that the ignition switch is a little loose when I put the key in. I personally don't feel the difference or just haven't put too much attention to it. Not sure, starter might be the problem though...

#5 ·
Plug n a OBD2/CAN scan tool and see what DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) have been posted. A defective starter can drain the battery but other problems can prevent the car from starting. Also check the fuses in the Integrated Power Module (in the engine bay) and see if any of them have blown. The Owner Manual for 06 Dodge Charger will have a listing of the fuses (security system, starter, engine module, engine controller, etc ...).

#6 ·
Could it be the ignition switch actuator? I forgot to mention that the ignition switch is a little loose when I put the key in. I personally don't feel the difference or just haven't put too much attention to it. Not sure, starter might be the problem though...
Djalbin has some good suggestions.

I would think if the ignition switch allows you to turn the car on (radio and A/C turn on) that might be a clue that the switch itself is working, but I don't know enough about how the ignition switch works to be sure on that.

#7 · (Edited)
Djalbin has some good suggestions.

I would think if the ignition switch allows you to turn the car on (radio and A/C turn on) that might be a clue that the switch itself is working, but I don't know enough about how the ignition switch works to be sure on that.
I tried taking it apart to see if it was in fact the ignition switch and I do see some wear and tear on the ignition switch, didn't finish installing the new ignition switch unfortanely(had to go to work). The radio lights do work, not the ac.?
If I have the OBDII scanner, will it be able to do a diagnostic without the car actually being on?

#10 ·
Thank you, my car has finally turned on but now another problem arose. After about 4 seconds it shuts off. Tried turning it on and it wouldn't stay on. Red light is on(not sure what it means) on my dash board. Might be the battery or my key. It isn't being recognized by the cars system, is my guess. What should I do guys?

#11 · (Edited)
If your car has the Sentry Key Remote Entry System (SKREES) it could be working as designed or there could be a problem.
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is designed to provide passive protection against unauthorized use by disabling the engine, after approximately two seconds of running, whenever an invalid key is used to start the vehicle.

The "Vehicle Security Light" is the red (round) light on the instrument cluster. This light will flash at a fast rate for approximately 15 seconds, when the vehicle security alarm is arming, and then will flash slowly until the vehicle is disarmed. The light is Off when the vehicle is disarmed and everything is running normal. When the ignition switch is turned to the On position the instrument cluster performs a bulb test. This light will flash, following the bulb test, if there's an Invalid key in the ignition switch or some other key related problem. This light will be On solid, following the bulb test, if a SKREES system malfunction/fault is detected or the SKREES system is inoperative.

The SKREES performs a self-test of the SKIS each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, and will store fault information in the form of a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) if a system malfunction is detected.

Reactions: Sparky13
#12 ·
If your car has the Sentry Key Remote Entry System (SKREES) it could be working as designed or there could be a problem.
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is designed to provide passive protection against unauthorized use by disabling the engine, after approximately two seconds of running, whenever an invalid key is used to start the vehicle.

The "Vehicle Security Light" is the red (round) light on the instrument cluster. This light will flash at a fast rate for approximately 15 seconds, when the vehicle security alarm is arming, and then will flash slowly until the vehicle is disarmed. The light is Off when the vehicle is disarmed and everything is running normal. When the ignition switch is turned to the On position the instrument cluster performs a bulb test. This light will flash, following the bulb test, if there's an Invalid key in the ignition switch or some other key related problem. This light will be On solid, following the bulb test, if a SKREES system malfunction/fault is detected or the SKREES system is inoperative.

The SKREES performs a self-test of the SKIS each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, and will store fault information in the form of a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) if a system malfunction is detected.
Daaaang... How do you know all this stuff?!? I know who I'm coming to when I have issues with my Charger!

#13 ·
It's actually pretty easy. Just takes some reading time, research and cross-referencing) I have a copy of the
Dodge Charger 2006-2012 Workshop Manual.

#18 ·
Where can I get one of those?!? Did you just get it on Amazon or something? How much do they cost?
It was a DVD I purchased on eBay. The dealership copy, for a specific model year, on eBay is typically listed for $250.00 The non-dealership PDF copies on eBay are typically listed for $15.00

They're all copies of the factory service manual but the dealership copies are for the later models (e.g. 2011 and newer) and the PDF copies are typically for the older models (e.g. 2006 - 2009)

#19 ·
It was a DVD I purchased on eBay. The dealership copy, for a specific model year, on eBay is typically listed for $250.00 The non-dealership PDF copies on eBay are typically listed for $15.00

They're all copies of the factory service manual but the dealership copies are for the later models (e.g. 2011 and newer) and the PDF copies are typically for the older models (e.g. 2006 - 2009)
Thanks for the info. Might be tempted to get one. My dad is a mechanic but he usually works on big diesel trucks, so between his know-how and a factory service manual, I think we could get done most sub-major repairs for a lot cheaper. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.