Dodge Charger Forum banner

Door lock button (exterior)

16K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  CFODOR59 
#1 ·
does anyone else have this issue where you get out of your car and hit the button on the door handle and the car doesn’t lock? The thing is it only does it sometimes, other times I hit the button and it works.

#3 ·
Are you sure you are consistently pressing the button?
Are you angled away from the car with the key furthest away?
Is it always the same fob or do you know?

Do it the same way everytime and let us know
I typically get out and close the door with my key in my right pocket and closest to the button. I press the button and it works sometimes. When it doesn’t I usually press it a couple different times and it still won’t work. So i just use my key. I haven’t really tried to change my body position before when it didn’t work so i guess I can try that and report back.

#6 ·
Yea, mines is a bit iffy too, but it’s cases where I may be walking off and pressing it rather than still and standing in front of the door or having my hand slightly under the handle as I press it. Otherwise it works pretty well

#7 ·
Also be sure you don't have your fingers under the handle (like you're grabbing the handle to push the button). Since you lightly touch under the handle to unlock the doors, if you do this while trying to push the lock button, it cancels out the action.

The key fob battery could certainly also be an issue.

#12 ·
I have my key in my back pack, I am careful to only press with one finger, and I have to press my locks multiple times 6 or7. My fob won't lock my doors, and now my car is requiring me to touch the start button with the fob about every other time. I thought my battery was getting low so I started using my spare fob. No difference. What's up?

#13 ·
I've read other posts where the the primary fob failed, people turned to the second fob and it failed. I don't know what model year / how old your car is but batteries have a shelf life regardless of how much they are used. In the posts that I have seen, it was a failed battery in both fobs. I suggest trying the easiest solution first, change the battery in your fob. If that works, also change the battery in your second fob. The symptoms you describe indicate a potential failed fob battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.