Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black part of my passenger's side door is coming apart from the molded plastic piece it's supposed to be connected to. Has anyone had this happen or have an idea of how to fix it? May contact cement? I'm just not sure how I can clamp it for awhile so it'll stick. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not under warranty anymore. I think I"m going to take the panel off tonight so I can put some contact cement on it and clamp it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Ben,
My door panels are doing the same thing. It also happened to another friend of mine but he was still under warranty. How did you end up resolving your issue?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If out of warranty and if your not intimidated by doing things yourself I’d suggest buying some 3M spray adhesive and a few clamps made for woodworking at Home Depot and give that a shot. The spray adhesive in my opinion is like magic! Stuff holds up really well when dry. Just tape the surrounding area up cause it’s a bugger to clean up! Also the door skin comes off fairly easy. Don’t be afraid to really pull on it! It’ll sound like it’s breaking all to pieces but it’s not.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It’s probably fixed by now since it’s been 5 months? Your first idea is probably best. Take door panel off. Brush contact cement to both surfaces, let stand for 2 minutes and then press together. You could clamp it between two strips of 1x2 boards along the length of the repair area. It will be about as good as you can do. Spray adhesive is not going to work as well and would not be easy to apply. Otherwise, you might want to see about finding a new door panel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dodge must buy their panels from the same place that Ford does! Wife's Explorer has the same issue. The TSB calls out some sort of glue/adhesive to fix it. Will keep an eye on mine from now on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did pretty much exactly what BilletAG suggested. The contact cement is still holding up and I think I used paint stirrers to spread out the force from the clamps. I used a bunch of clamps to make sure it held.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The black part of my passenger's side door is coming apart from the molded plastic piece it's supposed to be connected to. Has anyone had this happen or have an idea of how to fix it? May contact cement? I'm just not sure how I can clamp it for awhile so it'll stick. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ben
Your picture looks exactly like my 2016 Charger R/T is doing. It has approximately 45K miles and is mostly garaged kept.. I have not tried to fix yet buy am pretty sure the door panel will have to be replaced.. If you watch YouTube, search for this same problem. There are several videos.Most of the owners cannot get the service rep to admit that this is becoming a common problem. They will happily fix it for about $950.00, parts and labor. There have been a few that say they went through the corporate national service reps and have had some luck at the dealers being told to fix it. I just noticed mine about 3 months ago. (summer 2019) and have not been to a dealer yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I took my 17 in just before 36k mile warranty was up. Door panels are on nation wide backorder. It will take a while to get them
I just had my front door panels replaced earlier this month under warranty @ 21k miles. Service manager said the panels were on national back order as you said. I waited almost a month for them to get the new panels in. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again but if it does, I hope it’s before the 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty runs out. Each panel is like $900.

Now waiting for new radio to arrive. The screen is bubbling on the top corners. So they will replace it as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts