E5DD5E70-D93E-494A-A93E-D972B2A03CF1.jpeg
D9821A06-5439-4B9D-BB0F-095E73283BEB.jpeg
EDCF4EE5-083D-4FBA-8919-D696BCCCF8AB.jpeg
289622CC-E9DA-4197-AE49-C39552D8A68C.jpeg
571B53A4-5C70-483E-8A07-45471F8651CF.jpeg
4D2FD83E-0A46-4724-A11F-AF1D894CC0B6.jpeg
E5DD5E70-D93E-494A-A93E-D972B2A03CF1.jpeg
D9821A06-5439-4B9D-BB0F-095E73283BEB.jpeg
Door panels on my Charger have been coming off. Happening on both front doors but worse on the passenger door. Anybody else experience this? 19k miles on my Charger so it’s still under warranty. Assuming this would be covered and the dealer would fix it.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,389 Posts

·
851 Posts
Best answer I can give you, take it to a car upholstery shop to get it repaired, should be a lot cheaper. If you are under your original 3/36 you are covered by the dealership.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It is definitely covered under your 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No question. They will get you a new door panel

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is definitely covered under your 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No question. They will get you a new door panel
I wonder if the replacement panels will have the same problem in the future or if Dodge is replacing the panels with an upgraded part so this won’t happen again. Seems to be a common issue.

·
851 Posts
THe only long term door solution is probably a good tint job. I am guessing the heat is causing the adhesive to soften and pull back. I have a good tint on mine and don't have any of the issues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had this happen on the center console of my 15 R/T. I took it off and used super glue and clamps. Good Luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THe only long term door solution is probably a good tint job. I am guessing the heat is causing the adhesive to soften and pull back. I have a good tint on mine and don't have any of the issues.
I live in FL and it’s hot but I have 5% tints all around. Got the tints about a month after buying the car back in May 2018. Problem just started.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had this happen on the center console of my 15 R/T. I took it off and used super glue and clamps. Good Luck!
I read online from people also having this issue on their Center consoles too. So far hasn’t happened to mine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the charger to the dealership today and was told it’ll be at a minimum one month before they can replace the door panels. Service manager said there’s a national back order on the panels because the issue is so wide spread. I wasn’t expecting a quick resolution but wanted them to at least document it. Nothing I can do now but wait.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really wish they would change the design of these to hold up better. Had my passenger door replaced already and it's doing it again. Almost every panel i the center console AND the front of my dash. The dash is the tough one. I have extended warranty, but do I really want a dealership replacing my entire dash? It squeaks and rattles enough as is, plus the time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Took the charger to the dealership today and was told it’ll be at a minimum one month before they can replace the door panels. Service manager said there’s a national back order on the panels because the issue is so wide spread. I wasn’t expecting a quick resolution but wanted them to at least document it. Nothing I can do now but wait.

I'm very sorry to hear of this! If you need any additional support with expediting the part, feel free to PM us more details and we can open case for further handling for you.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
195 Posts
I really wish they would change the design of these to hold up better. Had my passenger door replaced already and it's doing it again. Almost every panel i the center console AND the front of my dash. The dash is the tough one. I have extended warranty, but do I really want a dealership replacing my entire dash? It squeaks and rattles enough as is, plus the time.
I'm sorry this recurred to you! Have you brought this back to their attention since then? You're more than welcome to shoot us a PM for further review.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm very sorry to hear of this! If you need any additional support with expediting the part, feel free to PM us more details and we can open case for further handling for you.

Steph
DodgeCares
What information do you need from me?

·
Registered
195 Posts
What information do you need from me?
If you're working with the dealership for further diagnosis, we'd be glad to open a case for you with the handling team via PM. We would just the date/time/location of your appointment, your VIN, current mileage, and the best phone number and email to reach you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Door panels were replaced today. Took leas than a month for the dealership to get them instock. I asked the service advisor if it were to happen again would they replace them. He said if it happens after the 36k mike warranty then I would have to pay out of pocket.

I hope this doesn’t happen again because it would be a good chunk of change to have them replaced. I think it’s crazy that Dodge has not come up with a permanent fix for this. I say this because according to the service advisor, they are the same part which means it can very well happen again. Fingers crossed.

Charger now has 21k miles. It started happening at around 19k miles. If it happens again and at the same interval, that means it would be around 38k miles which would be past the warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had this happen on mine after maybe 3 months. It took over a month for the driver's door panel and over 6 months for the passenger door panel to arrive. I had my windows tinted within 2 weeks of getting the car but I do live in southern Arizona....if these were to go bad out of warranty, I'd probably find a shop to re-skin and glue the panel.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,389 Posts
Hey all fixed mines

20191203_203523.jpg

I used this contact adhesive from home depot and just ran it along the channel were the original glue was and underneath the panel itself .

GOPR0093.JPG

Where I'm holding the panel is where it was lifting. As mentioned, I apploed the glue in the channel where you can see some of the original glue and underneath the panel portion thats in my hand
20191124_140921.jpg

Then I used gorilla tape to pull, press, and hold the panel in place. Also see below how the back side of this process looks

20191124_140800.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,389 Posts
Here's how it looks after letting it set for 24hrs as recommended on back on contact adhesive

20191126_201929.jpg

20191126_201845.jpg

Now, I'm not gonna sit here and say its perfect but for saving $700+ on repairs since I'm out of warranty, I can live with the results overall. My suggestion would be just be mindful of positioning because once the glue sets its not going anywhere. But for a $4 tube of adhesive and 30mins maybe less of your time its worth it. Good luck guys

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's how it looks after letting it set for 24hrs as recommended on back on contact adhesive

View attachment 118795

View attachment 118796

Now, I'm not gonna sit here and say its perfect but for saving $700+ on repairs since I'm out of warranty, I can live with the results overall. My suggestion would be just be mindful of positioning because once the glue sets its not going anywhere. But for a $4 tube of adhesive and 30mins maybe less of your time its worth it. Good luck guys
Great explanation on how you went about fixing your door panel. Will come in handy if I have the same issue happen again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts