Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally did not know this until yesterday when I watched R/T Life's vid on this!! I just normally use the paddles or the stick, but good to know that the gas pedal is another option for downshifting...especially from like 5th down to 3rd! Tried this yesterday in my R/T and it works!!

R/T Life is awesome...love his vids!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes the 8 speed transmission is awesome. A swift press on the gas and the transmission wakes up like a rabbit beast LOL.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the 8 speed transmission is awesome. A swift press on the gas and the transmission wakes up like a rabbit beast LOL.
Right!! The wonderful thing is that this also works on the 5 speed Hemis!! Not sure for what years this will go back to and work, but it works on my '14 5 speed!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. I thought everyone knew if you slam the gas pedal, the car will downshift. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Ummmm.....has worked that way for just about EVERY automatic transmission since automatic transmissions were invented.......

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Umm, not the same as just romping on the accelerator in a regular automatic, or when a car jerks by quickly tapping it....but when an automatic drops 2 or more gears just by double tapping the accelerator, like you were hitting the paddles or downshifting from the autostick....maybe it's a Hemi thing, maybe I've driven manuals for ways too long or maybe I'm on my way to the lovely white room....don't know anymore...

..what I do know is that I'm by no means dumb thank you!

·
Registered
411 Posts
will have to try this....not the same as slamming the pedal and going wfo..[yeah, even my '56 Chevy did that]...just a tap to downshift..not sure why you might use this but interesting....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ahhh...I see. A quick double tap. That's a little different. I probably just missed that in the video. I'll have to try it. Sorry MadMaxx.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhh...I see. A quick double tap. That's a little different. I probably just missed that in the video. I'll have to try it. Sorry MadMaxx.
Lol, no worries...yeah I was like WTF, I'm not the only one whom didn't know this...and I tried it and it is def a bit different, as in auto mode, it will drop 1 gear (usually 5-4th that I've found) and in manual (autostick) mode, it will attempt to rev-match and in cases of being in 5th, it will drop straight down to 3rd...
I've tried similar in crappy ass reg cars and have never replicated what this does per say, but old school cars can do similar...

I normally just use the stick or the paddles, but I guess having a 3rd option is kinda cool!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
All it takes is just the right amount of pressure to change the throttle position input to the PCM & TCM enough to compare it to the engine load and decide if a single gear (or multiple) change and/or change in lockup status is necessary; also for the computer to comply with your engine speed change. The NAG1 is all about this (I imagine the 8sp is as well), especially on hills or maintaining exact cruise control speed. A change in pedal position can cause shifts to happen, but it's still a function of kick down, even at slower speeds. You don't have to romp on it, does NOT require a full throttle stomp. My '72 Road Runner with a 727 3sp did it (granted there were only two gears to choose from). This really isn't anything new, it's not like you're exerting actual shift control (like with autostick or paddles) over the transmission, you're just causing it to downshift. I imagine once you're done playing footsie with the gas pedal it settles right back down to the gear it was in for the speed you had it at (if you return to that speed). All that tapping does is trick the TCM into thinking more pedal position is being applied and needs that gear change. It's not a special feature lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts