Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR
Changed left front wheel speed sensor but still getting ABS and stability control messages.

I know this is a common problem and there are a bunch of threads on this, but short of taking it to the dealer I see people have had mixed results. I saw a few quick estimates and past experiences that put the dealer cost of fixing one of these around several hundred dollars. Some even want $150 just to scan it lol, so I set about trying to do this one on my own. My problem all started with the car telling me to service the ABS and electronic stability control, and from there is went like this:

I was driving last Monday and I get the ding and messages in the dash telling me to get the ABS and ESC serviced. Messages/warning lights went out after a few seconds and that was that. Got the same messages one more time that day and a few more the next. At this point I figured it was some sort of sensor starting to crap out. On Wednesday I set off and when I hit the brakes I get the ABS pushing back at me through the pedal for a second, then the brakes go back to normal and the warning lights come on and have been on ever since.

After doing some quick research I see that this is somewhat common and the wheel speed sensors are the usual culprit, but not sure which one(s). Head to AutoZone and their scanner, an Innova 3130f, gives me four error codes for the left front wheel speed sensor. Unfortunately I didn't write them down exactly but I do know one of them said 'erratic signal'. Anyways, they order me a replacement sensor, a Dorman 'ABS Sensor', and yesterday I install it. I also picked up an Innova 3100j OBD Scanner since I knew that brand would read the ABS codes for the Charger.

Installed the new sensor, drove for a couple miles and the lights didn't go out, so I hooked up the scanner and it read 3 codes for the left front wheel. I selected the option to clear all the codes and I guess it did 2 of them but one error remains:

C0031-4A (1/1) Active
Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor - Incorrect Component Installed

Now, the description is pretty clear what the problem is, but the guy at AutoZone (who I trust) told me the sensor he ordered is the right one. It looks just like the one i removed and fit the same. I know others have seen this code after replacing the sensor so I thought maybe it's not necessarily the wrong part.

At this point I'm not sure what to do next. I've read that it can take up to 50 miles for the ABS and stability control warnings to go away on their own, but I have my reservations about that. Maybe the scanner I bought isn't sophisticated enough to clear the remaining code? Should I disconnect the battery and let everything reboot and see if it comes back on? I'd prefer to avoid the dealer at this point because of the cost and since I already switched the sensor I'm afraid they might try to ding me for as much as possible or say I messed something up. The car rides fine and I don't feel anything through the wheel or pedal (although my OCD has me thinking about the tiniest sensations from every bump and crappy road lol). I'd like to avoid taking the wheel off again too as it took a toll on my back getting the lug nuts loose and tightening them back up. Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh boy, I have a very recent horror story for you on a similar subject:
2014 pursuit...
similar anti skid & engine light.... errors
Also had my dash light flickering as I drove down the road ...

Short story version ...
at dealer after chatting with their class A tech (34 yers w dodge)... I asked him to scan it and to check the police wires to see if cut or shorted $139
Claimed he needed to bypass 2 circuits ... final bill .. $897.31 to run 2 wires

All problem we’re back in 3 days but no one would call me back after many messages to service manager ... I stopped in and they refused to work on my car for altered Exhaust ...same as the original visit and repair..?????

In the mean time
I pulled the entire dash apart to look for bad grounds and check all harness connections .... all good.
Wife noticed a lump in the floor ... under it was 9 stripped wires from police equipment, 1 direct from battery, (it could of started a fire) ...
repaired and pulled back in to the console.

My flickering dash lights now cleared caused by the shorting wires in floor...
Cleared all Errors for 2 weeks
then both lights returned engine and anti-skid .

3 weeks of calls to dealership general manager and owner representatives ...
got me a free new scan and look at car..
They made me wait 4&1/2 hours to clear the errors and said it was a ghosting problem and nothing can be done

We are at the mercy of the stealer dealers because they have a monopoly on their proprietary electronics

Their should be law to protect us from this criminal consumer treatment

Tony in Florida

·
Registered
713 Posts
First, you should use factory parts. The scanner at Auto Zone may not have been reading correctly. I had the same problem: ABS and Traction Control lights were on and cruise control would not work. I have a friend who is a tech at the Dodge dealer and he scanned it for me as a favor. When I replaced my wheel sensor, the lights did not come back on and cruise was back working.

·
Registered
221 Posts
^^^ what he said.....I have tried sensors from Ebay that do not work...some were so long that they contacted the reluctor...dodgy uses active sensors...their resistance and volts can be checked with a DVM...they should also have a volt supply ...if not there is probably a wiring problem..

My Foxwell 644 scanner will erase codes and turn out the dash light but the error code and light will instantly reappear if the problem is not corrected..

the scanner will also read individual wheel speeds as the car is moving and the bad sensor will be obvious..

check your installation of the new sensor...

vid might held

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your insight. Since my original post I've come across some info from other owners who indicated the same as all you guys, that the aftermarket sensor won't work. I believe a fellow owner even got a code saying there was a 'Compare Signal Failure' or something along those lines, indicating perhaps both front (or rear) sensors may have been working, but they weren't working in unison.

I even stopped by the local Mavis today as I saw they were open on a Sunday, and the first thing the guy there told me was that using an OE part is where I should (re)start. Combine all this with the fact that the scanner is telling me I have an incorrect component installed lol and that's what I'll do next.

Tanza:

You're scaring me over here haha. Seriously though that sucks that you had to go through all that. What you say about the proprietary nature of aspects of the vehicle is so true. Sucks that you have to hope the dealer is fair just so you can keep your car/their product working.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep posting as developments occur.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Dealers get 100% markup but I always stick with factory parts. Ask your parts manager to give you a discount. I got 20% off all my parts just by talking nice to the parts manager. Told him I work on my own car and can get Mopar parts cheap on the internet but would prefer to deal with my local Dodge dealer and could use a break in parts. I have (4) FCA vehicle’s and spend a lot of money on parts.
image.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just had an OE Mopar sensor put on and, voila, no more ABS/Traction lights.

I bought the sensor from the dealer for $31.45, which is about the same that I paid for the aftermarket one. I also asked the guy in the service department how much it would cost to have it installed and he quoted me $450 because it's a very difficulty part to get to and will require a decent amount of time.

Anyways, I've been trying to avoid doing it myself again because I get sciatic pain in my back, so I went back to Mavis to see what it would cost there and the guy quoted me $58 for .7 hrs of work. The tech did it in about 15 mins and the guy at the desk said don't worry about the charge, just tip the technician. I gave him $45 and everything's good now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I wish I had come to you all sooner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts