Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Disk brake systems, when the pads press on the rotors, create the friction & heat needed for stopping.
Disk brake systems for the street use metallic or metallic/ceramic because they heat faster and hold heat longer. This is good for street driving with light use of the brakes in cold/wet weather. They also provide a more linear/predictable response when you use the brakes.
Problem with street brakes for racing is they heat faster and hold heat longer. They don't hold up to constant hard braking and result in brake fade. Solution for racing is to use carbon/carbon or carbon/ceramic brakes that don't heat-up as fast and lose heat faster. This is great for racing where you are hard on the brakes on a regular basis but it can be a disaster on the street.
You have to build up the heat with carbon/carbon or carbon/ceramic brakes and keep the heat built up. Road racers have very little braking when they first go out on the track. They have to apply braking when they first get out on the track and build up the heat in the pads/rotors before they have any predictable response when braking. If the pads/rotors get a chance to cool down, they have to go through the cycle of heating up the pads/rotors again in order to restore predictable braking. Racing on the drag strip is a little different than road racing. You aren't going to have repeated application of the brakes ... you're just going to have one large continuous use of the brakes at the shutdown area (braking zone). But braking from a high speed with continuous application of the brakes is enough for the brakes to work effectively.
Racing brakes on a daily driver will not have a chance to build up and maintain enough heat to be predictable. High performance street brakes on a daily driver will provide better braking than racing brakes ... and they don't cost $5,652.00

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disk brake systems, when the pads press on the rotors, create the friction & heat needed for stopping.
Disk brake systems for the street use metallic or metallic/ceramic because they heat faster and hold heat longer. This is good for street driving with light use of the brakes in cold/wet weather. They also provide a more linear/predictable response when you use the brakes.
Problem with street brakes for racing is they heat faster and hold heat longer. They don't hold up to constant hard braking and result in brake fade. Solution for racing is to use carbon/carbon or carbon/ceramic brakes that don't heat-up as fast and lose heat faster. This is great for racing where you are hard on the brakes on a regular basis but it can be a disaster on the street.
You have to build up the heat with carbon/carbon or carbon/ceramic brakes and keep the heat built up. Road racers have very little braking when they first go out on the track. They have to apply braking when they first get out on the track and build up the heat in the pads/rotors before they have any predictable response when braking. If the pads/rotors get a chance to cool down, they have to go through the cycle of heating up the pads/rotors again in order to restore predictable braking. Racing on the drag strip is a little different than road racing. You aren't going to have repeated application of the brakes ... you're just going to have one large continuous use of the brakes at the shutdown area (braking zone). But braking from a high speed with continuous application of the brakes is enough for the brakes to work effectively.
Racing brakes on a daily driver will not have a chance to build up and maintain enough heat to be predictable. High performance street brakes on a daily driver will provide better braking than racing brakes ... and they don't cost $5,652.00
I know all this but I love track days, auto cross and will be doing such things come next season. I know for street use they are useless but still be so awesome to have them

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It’s nice if you can afford it! These cars are expensive and well designed. They do not really need any improvements. I have taken my pure stock Hellcat for a track day and did not experience any brake fade whatsoever. I know that if I was to track it in a regular basis, I would change tires, brake pads and brake fluid and add some bracing. Personally, I can’t afford to modify an expensive car and risk tracking it. There is also the question regarding how mods affect resale.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't care about resale I'm just going to enjoy my car the most I can. With people talking about banning gas "doubt that will ever happen" I will try and keep it for quite some time

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not totally off topic. When I was a kid Pops would work the press box at the Rolex 24 in Daytona. I loved going and watching near that tight left before the chicane so I could see the rotors get glowing hot red.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after some research I have found carbon ceramic brakes are not all that great. People who have them switch to steel if they can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts