Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hearing a strange sound from my 2015 R/T, come to find out that the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft was the noise. To make matters worst, I am told that you have replace the driveshaft, which costs around 1200.00 dollars !
Is this a common thing to happen, my dealer says no, that any that they have replaced had 100,000 plus miles.
The bad part is my car is out of the powertrain warranty ( 5 yrs in Dec 20 ), but only has under 45000 miles.
This is my wife's car, and it is NOT been abused, very disappointing.

How many of you guys have a problem like this ? I bought the car new, and to be honest, it has been less than dependable, lots of issues ! I am a Mopar guy, I also have a 2019 challenger Scat Pack, but am starting to rethink my next purchase.

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,685 Posts
While it is not epidemic, quite a few 2015 Challenger R/Ts have had this issue and as low as 5,000 miles I think.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not unusual. But there's no way I'd pay $1200 for a driveshaft when all that's wrong is the bearing.

Look for a local driveshaft repair shop and have them replace the bearing and balance the driveshaft for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That sucks man. They changed it in 2015 to a system you cannot change the CSB. I looked on Rockauto, they are not offered like the earlier years.

OE for 750.00+ HERE.

If you go with DSS call them and ask about the 4" diameter if it will interfere with your mufflers, and if you will need the adapter to angle the pinion. And know its an 8 to 10 week wait.

I'm going with their 3" two piece. I'm going on 5 weeks 4 days now.

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392. Ray Barton forged 392, tvs2300, aluminum ds, to much to list
52 Posts
I installed a DSS one piece aluminum last year on my 17 Daytona. Fit and balance are perfect. The shifts in sport mode are a lot harder.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was hearing a strange sound from my 2015 R/T, come to find out that the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft was the noise. To make matters worst, I am told that you have replace the driveshaft, which costs around 1200.00 dollars !
Is this a common thing to happen, my dealer says no, that any that they have replaced had 100,000 plus miles.
The bad part is my car is out of the powertrain warranty ( 5 yrs in Dec 20 ), but only has under 45000 miles.

How many of you guys have a problem like this ? I bought the car new, and to be honest, it has been less than dependable, lots of issues ! I am a Mopar guy, I also have a 2019 challenger Scat Pack, but am starting to rethink my next purchase.
Hi retired2006,
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
43 Posts

Had the same problem at 35,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi retired2006,
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Hi Rob,
Also just told need a new driveshaft on 2016 Challenger w 39k miles. Can you please help!?

·
Registered
43 Posts

Mine went at 36000 miles. I was told bearing is not replaceable. Still love the car though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Rob,
Also just told need a new driveshaft on 2016 Challenger w 39k miles. Can you please help!?
Hi Jms153,
Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was sure my 29K R/T had a bad support bearing in the driveshaft....loud rumble, whole car vibrating...felt just like a U joint which lost it's needle bearings.....well duh... turns out the parking brake was not releasing completely...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Rob thanks for getting back to me. Do you have an email address I can contact you at?
Hi,
We responded to your PM, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts

I hear that...I have a 2015 challenger RT shaker and has 30000 miles on it . The other day notice a strang noice coming from under the car jacked it up and grabbed ahold of the drive shaft and could move it up and down. Meaning the carrier bearing was bad. What a bad design. Called the dealership and they said my warranty ran out in January go figure and a new shaft was $932.00. Wow! Can just the carrier bearing be replaced on that model?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Call this guy. He told me later charger & challenger shafts are in production. But I ust checked and see no listing. I run one in my boosted R/T snd its much nicer than OE and less $4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts