Dodge Charger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
"hypermiler" - is the kind of driver that pisses me off cause they clog up traffic in an already congested city ...
however, I do always look ahead and anticipate my next move so that I'm not too hard on the gas or brakes ... but I do clear the intersection quickly as to get more cars through the traffic light and have fewer cars idling and wasting gas because someone is too slow ...

yep.. i totally agree. i HATE people who just coast and hold people up..... that really ticks me off, and i hope people take advantage of this but not in the CHARGER!!!!! WE WERE BORN TO DRIVE FAST BABY YEEE:D

Any yes Azoth, he puts the car in neutral A LOT and coasts as much as possible. I dont agree so much with this move when you are in heavy traffic because it makes it just plain dangerous.
This does work wonders, but I'm not sure how good it is for the tranny. I've done it in my Ram before and the mileage escalates quite rapidly...Until you touch the go pedal again.

no it doesn't. cruise control gets on and off the gas to stay on the exact mph you set. you can be smoother with a foot if you don't mind dropping a few mph on a hill or when the wind gusts.
this is true. what i think jontoad is saying is that the cruise can't adjust smoothly in any respect to changing conditions like we can. if your going up a hill/into a strong head wind, your anticipating the grade change, you will keep your foot into the pedal with minor adjustments to maintain speed. all the cruise knows is you want 70MPH all the time. so on a grade it's going to be changing gears allllllll the time to keep 70,same thing with a strong headwind, and if it just can't do it...it disengages without any notice, possibly leading to an accident. or what about if your on cruise and your doin 70 and now you want 80 for whatever reason, you push the accelerate button and your basically WOT. you could have just nudged the pedal and been there in a blink of an eye.

"hypermiler" - is the kind of driver that pisses me off cause they clog up traffic in an already congested city ...
however, I do always look ahead and anticipate my next move so that I'm not too hard on the gas or brakes ... but I do clear the intersection quickly as to get more cars through the traffic light and have fewer cars idling and wasting gas because someone is too slow ...
i agree. too bad that's the way roads and intersections are designed to be used but so few of us know it.

He did leave out throw the car in "N" when going down a hill and coast. I know I've done it a few times. just to try to get the most MPG I could just messing around to see how much I could get.

i read in the owners manual that this is very bad for the tranny. could be those disclaimer warnings like: excessive wheel spin will cause damage......":D

nice tips though bro. thanks for posting them!!:TU:

YIKES !
That kind of driving makes the people behind you pissed off.
You may save a gallon or two but there is more to it than that.
Getting from point A to B takes longer. The engine is running longer and burning gas. You would have to account for that.
You would have to fill up, make 10 trips from the same points A & B.
One time normal driving the other "hypermiling".
It's like in the winter when you let the car sit and warm up longer.
"Gee, my MPGs are getting lower"... are they really?
It is funny how this was brought up, just last night on my local news station they did a segment on this. You know what the news reported? That this type of driving habit is DANGEROUS! NOw I know not to trust the news, but the fact is it is dangerous. The news stated that their are some good points and practices, but using all the techniques to increase the mpg isn't worth the danger and risk it puts on other drivers who don't expect it. If 10 out of 1000 are doing it, it causes major problems, if 800 out of 1000 are doing it it is a different story.

Shouldn't this thread be on a civic forum or something? This is ridiculous, guys. You either like your Charger or you don't. Half the fun of owning one is the thrill of driving it the way that feels good. Are you saving 5? 10 dollars per week? How much does it cost to go to the amusement park? Think of it as therapy.
While I agree with this, he did state he was trying it as an experiment. The HEmi guys really shouldn't be concerned but maybe the 6'ers and 4's can get even better mileage in these big cars. Heck they don't have the power to pull away from lights anways so why not try?;)

Discussion starter · #25 ·
While I agree with this, he did state he was trying it as an experiment. The HEmi guys really shouldn't be concerned but maybe the 6'ers and 4's can get even better mileage in these big cars. Heck they don't have the power to pull away from lights anways so why not try?;)[/quote]

That was the point of the post...since my Charger is my daily driver it's the car I tried it on...and it works. It is also no fun and gas mileage isnt the reason I bought my car to begin with. It already gets the same mileage my V6 mini van got without any change in driving habits thanks to MDS.

I have a feeling that better results can be found with cars already designed to be fuel efficient. I would like to try it on my wife's car which is a diesel that already gets 50mpg.

But that would mean letting her drive the Charger and she has a heavy foot and an F1 driving style...but that is an entirely separate topic

I agree they are the people I'm usally yelling at.:D I drive my car to enjoy it I don't really care about my milage all that much.

A: I didnt by my Charger for fuel efficiency. I know that has already been said.
I bought the V-6, not the Hemi. I bought the 6 on purpose and didnt really want the 8. The mileage on my 6 is almost the same as what I was getting on my 4 cyl Camry.
I admit that I drive hard, I also am the one that buys the gas, tires, etc. and will continue to drive hard.
I tend to drive harder and faster when I am around some weenie in his Prius with a bumper sticker proclaiming the "evils" of fossil fuels.
Global warming is a fact, global warming being caused by man is a THEORY! As is the belief that we can stop it. Al Gore can suck my tailpipe. :box2:

Sorry, off topic rant. :FIREdevil:

B: If you read most defensive driving classes, they will tell you that most accidents are not caused by speeding, they are caused by people driving too slow (slower than the flow of traffic) and/or below the posted speed limit.

C: It is illegal (at least in Texas) to place your car in neutral while driving for any reason - that includes sitting at a traffic light. No idea how in the world they would enforce that but I think the logic is that it makes evasive manuvers more difficult and take more time.

I find it hard to believe that NOT using the cruise control will help yer mileage.
Not sure if ya ever tried it before, but yer speed fluctuates so much without it. With the cruise NOT set, I'm doing 65, then 80, then 70. Cruise set, I'm doing 67 and staying there.
if you dont pay attention to your throttle position, hills, speed and everything then cruise control is probably better for you. i use evic to look at my throttle position. depending on the conditions i try to pick a number, say 15%, and hold it there. you get better MPG with constant throttle position, not constant speed.

C: It is illegal (at least in Texas) to place your car in neutral while driving traffic for any reason - that includes sitting at a light. No idea how in the world they would enforce that but I think the logic is that it makes evasive manuvers more difficult and take more time.

...so, what happens to the guys drivin stick? lol i know i certainly didn't sit there holding in the clutch till the light changed lol and i didn't NOT use the clutch when changing gears effectivly putting it into neutral:dork:

alright...i'll stop looking too deep into these "laws" lol

Rep to your wife MidLyf ... and rep to you for posting a great topic ... :D

While I agree with this, he did state he was trying it as an experiment. The HEmi guys really shouldn't be concerned but maybe the 6'ers and 4's can get even better mileage in these big cars. Heck they don't have the power to pull away from lights anways so why not try?;)

That was the point of the post...since my Charger is my daily driver it's the car I tried it on...and it works. It is also no fun and gas mileage isnt the reason I bought my car to begin with. It already gets the same mileage my V6 mini van got without any change in driving habits thanks to MDS.

I have a feeling that better results can be found with cars already designed to be fuel efficient. I would like to try it on my wife's car which is a diesel that already gets 50mpg.

But that would mean letting her drive the Charger and she has a heavy foot and an F1 driving style...but that is an entirely separate topic[/quote]

B: If you read most defensive driving classes, they will tell you that most accidents are not caused by speeding, they are caused by people driving too slow (slower than the flow of traffic) and/or below the posted speed limit.
This is very true. I've had more close calls with slow pokes than speeders...Especially come winter time.

if you dont pay attention to your throttle position, hills, speed and everything then cruise control is probably better for you. i use evic to look at my throttle position. depending on the conditions i try to pick a number, say 15%, and hold it there. you get better MPG with constant throttle position, not constant speed.
It's hard enuff to watch speed, I'm not gonna attempt to keep an eye on throttle position every 10 seconds or so. Honestly, is the .02 mpg more that you get really worth the hassle?

...so, what happens to the guys drivin stick? lol i know i certainly didn't sit there holding in the clutch till the light changed lol and i didn't NOT use the clutch when changing gears effectivly putting it into neutral:dork:
By the letter of the law, your vehicle must be in gear while sitting at a light. That means foot on the clutch the whole time.
Personally, I have had my foot slip off the clutch at a light - almost causing me to rear-end the car in front of me. So I will continue to put a stick shift car in neutral at lights.

During shifting, the time in "neutral" is so minimal as to be a non-issue. It is also necessary at that point.

"Drive it like you stole it" is one of my favs for Charger owners.
From what I read here and my personal pref, we did NOT buy these with MPG in mind.
You could 'hypermile' for years and not save enough to pay for one of my MODs.
So, what's the point?
If you really need to save a few bucks a week in gas, they it's time to change cars.
Now - ON TO THE MODs -

This sounds good and all for the rising gas prices but I think I'd rather cut back on my food budget than cut back on the gas pedal. looking in the mirror I don't think it would kill me not to buy that extra Twinkie, lol...

you've been using my mirror!

Don't think so, I don't drive a Charger to drive it like a granny. :D

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.