Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ... bad news is ... it seems that i popped a head gasget on my 06 5.7. ... so im looking to do the upgrade ... looking for a set of egale heads and 392 intake and what ever else i mite need to do the swap with a 392 intake and T/B on my 5.7...... let me know what ya got
got.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
EAGLE lol. You know it isn't a simple bolt and go, right? You have to decide whether you're gonna get the chambers opened up or decide on a gasket thickness for what compression ratio you'll need. You'll need custom pushrods to go with as the valves are taller. Are you going to change the cam (if you haven't already)? These heads and a either an eagle or 392 intake would be overkill with the ridiculously small stock cam in an 06 5.7. You'll also need intake spacers to clear the temp sensor up front so the manifold seals correctly, as well as exhaust manifolds (or SRT manifolds, or headers, which ever you prefer). Just wanna make sure you know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EAGLE lol. You know it isn't a simple bolt and go, right? You have to decide whether you're gonna get the chambers opened up or decide on a gasket thickness for what compression ratio you'll need. You'll need custom pushrods to go with as the valves are taller. Are you going to change the cam (if you haven't already)? These heads and a either an eagle or 392 intake would be overkill with the ridiculously small stock cam in an 06 5.7. You'll also need intake spacers to clear the temp sensor up front so the manifold seals correctly, as well as exhaust manifolds (or SRT manifolds, or headers, which ever you prefer). Just wanna make sure you know what you're getting into.
ya i get that part. its not a weekend in the driveway thing .... lol ..... i know about the port thing a 09 up intake is needed and from what i gather useing the push rods and rocker and rocker shafts from the 09 up 5.7 or 6.1 should take care of that part without haveing custom pushrods made. (rocker stands are taller as well) i have the JBA headers that will work with the D port. as for the cam ... i will be changeing that as well. but im going to do much more research on that. but im leaning tward the stock hellcat grind. im in the parts gathering mode at this point and have to take into account the 3.90 gears. that being said ... if it cost a ton to do the swap ... maby i should just find a used 392 and drop it in. or go nuts and put an old 413 in it ... i do have one laying around .... lol

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
ya i get that part. its not a weekend in the driveway thing .... lol ..... i know about the port thing a 09 up intake is needed and from what i gather useing the push rods and rocker and rocker shafts from the 09 up 5.7 or 6.1 should take care of that part without haveing custom pushrods made. (rocker stands are taller as well) i have the JBA headers that will work with the D port. as for the cam ... i will be changeing that as well. but im going to do much more research on that. but im leaning tward the stock hellcat grind. im in the parts gathering mode at this point and have to take into account the 3.90 gears. that being said ... if it cost a ton to do the swap ... maby i should just find a used 392 and drop it in. or go nuts and put an old 413 in it ... i do have one laying around .... lol
1. Or a 6.1 intake
2. Incorrect, eagle pushrods and 6.1 pushrods are not the same length. 6.1 pushrods aren't long enough and stock length eagle pushrods may not be good enough depending on the thickness of the head gasket you use. If you use stock thickness head gasket with stock eagle heads on a pre-eagle 5.7 your compression ratio will be well over 11:1. Rocker shafts are identical for all 03+ hemis
3. You can't use a stock hellcat cam in your pre-eagle engine; besides which hellcat cam is designed for a boosted engine with VVT. Terrible cam to use for a naturally aspirated non-VVT 5.7
4. It doesn't cost a ton to do the swap if you look for deals on the parts, you just have to make sure you get the right ones.
5. That will not be any easier, factory 392 is a VVT engine that your 06 PCM cannot run.
6. Even worse idea.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Or a 6.1 intake
2. Incorrect, eagle pushrods and 6.1 pushrods are not the same length. 6.1 pushrods aren't long enough and stock length eagle pushrods may not be good enough depending on the thickness of the head gasket you use. If you use stock thickness head gasket with stock eagle heads on a pre-eagle 5.7 your compression ratio will be well over 11:1. Rocker shafts are identical for all 03+ hemis
3. You can't use a stock hellcat cam in your pre-eagle engine; besides which hellcat cam is designed for a boosted engine with VVT. Terrible cam to use for a naturally aspirated non-VVT 5.7
4. It doesn't cost a ton to do the swap if you look for deals on the parts, you just have to make sure you get the right ones.
5. That will not be any easier, factory 392 is a VVT engine that your 06 PCM cannot run.
6. Even worse idea.
i knew the comp would come up but didn't think it would be that much. as far as the bump stick .... boost mite be added later and didn't want the take it apart again when (if) that happens. as for the VVT that is done with the cam gear and i have seen a kit to deleat that. don't know if the 392 system is differnt but thats why i ask first. questions are a lot cheaper than doing it wrong. still kicking around the idea of a 6.1. i know where a 06 6.1 is for 4500 bucks. but sence i know my bottom end is good i was hopeing just to swap the top end.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i knew the comp would come up but didn't think it would be that much. as far as the bump stick .... boost mite be added later and didn't want the take it apart again when (if) that happens. as for the VVT that is done with the cam gear and i have seen a kit to deleat that. don't know if the 392 system is differnt but thats why i ask first. questions are a lot cheaper than doing it wrong. still kicking around the idea of a 6.1. i know where a 06 6.1 is for 4500 bucks. but sence i know my bottom end is good i was hopeing just to swap the top end.
Lets try this again...you CANNOT use a VVT cam in your pre-VVT block. This is why:
Your cam:

VVT cam:

CANNOT. As in they are not even remotely physically interchangeable. Might wanna do some more research before you start pulling the trigger on things...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets try this again...you CANNOT use a VVT cam in your pre-VVT block. This is why:
Your cam:

VVT cam:

CANNOT. As in they are not even remotely physically interchangeable. Might wanna do some more research before you start pulling the trigger on things...
i know i can't just put the cam in it .... what im refering to is the grind of the cam ... lift and deration .... not the cam itself. no need to try again .....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You might hit up HHP, Inertia, etc as they usually have boost ready cams that would probably be better suited for what you wanna do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts