Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there enough room under the hood of a 66-67 charger to put a 440 with a blower (preferably 71 Detroit series) without sticking it through the hood.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Are you kidding LMAO?? Is this a serious question lol? A big block Chrysler with a decent high rise intake manifold and a 4bbl will fit if the air cleaner isn't too tall. Too tall a manifold and you have to shrink the air cleaner. I mean, an engine bay pic is easily found....
This is a 67 with a 383 (same height, just the deck where the cylinder heads sit is taller). No, your blower on a 440 with carbs will not fit under the hood lol:

If you want a stealth blower on a 440, you need a centrifugal blower.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just a note, Superchargers on Two Stroke diesels were there more for helping with airflow in the two stroke process (force air in, force exhaust out) than to actually make power. They spun alot slower and were heavier than gas counter parts.

Has been done but really no point when you can get a kit that is bolt on and better.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The word you are looking for is scavenging. Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engine would not work without the blower.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Just cut a hole in the hood and be done with it. I know, it's not a 66-67 ... but it's still a Charger.

Reactions: WVHEMIS and Nuwanda

·
Registered
189 Posts
The word you are looking for is scavenging. Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engine would not work without the blower.
Yep! Some reason could not get that word out last night.

I play with a FV436 APC that has a Rolls Royce K60, opposed piston supercharged two -stroke and people always get upset when I tell them the S/c isn't there to make more power but make the engine operate more efficient.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We have 378 foot cutters that use a pair Fairbanks-Morse 38TD8-1/8-12 as primary diesel propulsion. They were chosen for packaging because of the narrow profile (they're submarine diesels):

Needed them narrow because what you don't see are the FT4A turbines off to the outside down below lol (CODAG propulsion).
Blower is driven off the upper crank:

This actually has some good pics/descriptions if anyone is interested: Martin's Fairbanks Morse page

1 - 7 of 7 Posts