Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t remember where I saw that for models 2015+ if you were to get an aftermarket exhaust, it would throw a “Back Pressure” code.

Has anyone seen this with both an aftermarket exhaust or just simply doing a mid muffler delete.

There’s no doubt that doing a mid muffler delete will change the back pressure so I’m curious to see if it even happens.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I've seen it on my car. I have Corsa extreme exhaust and from time to time, the light trips. I have a "pill" from Corsa to install next time I'm under the car that simulates the correct back pressure so no light should trip in theory. The light doesn't trip enough for me to care so I've not made it a priority to install. But NEXT oil change i will. At least thats what I tell myself haha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've never heard of a back pressure code. I am running dynomax bullet mufflers and Blastin Bob's resonator kit and I replaced the 2.25" x-pipe with a 2.5" x-pipe and have never had a single code. When I installed my 3.70 gears recently, I had to cut my mufflers off (they were welded on and in the way) and I ran for a little over a day with straight pipe from the middle of the car and I never had a light either. Seems strange. Do you know the exact code?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never heard of a back pressure code. I am running dynomax bullet mufflers and Blastin Bob's resonator kit and I replaced the 2.25" x-pipe with a 2.5" x-pipe and have never had a single code. When I installed my 3.70 gears recently, I had to cut my mufflers off (they were welded on and in the way) and I ran for a little over a day with straight pipe from the middle of the car and I never had a light either. Seems strange. Do you know the exact code?
Don’t know the code, I had read it in some forum.

But... I already got my mid muffler delete, and having seen any codes either.

What I do know is that my car sounds awesome now! Lots of attention while on the road. Would recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 2015 Charger RT thats is clean n stock. To quiet so I want to man it up a little. Mid muffler delete is the way to go? keep resonators?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got a 2015 Charger RT thats is clean n stock. To quiet so I want to man it up a little. Mid muffler delete is the way to go? keep resonators?
The way I had mine done, I deleted my mid mufflers and kept my back resonators with the exhaust tips.

The guy at the muffler shop told me that if you replace the muffler for the resonator you can get more controlled sound, meaning still louder than stock but a bit more controlled if you live in a neighborhood where you probably don't want to bother anyone I would do that. So 4 resonators in total no mufflers.

personally I think my car is way too loud now, not when it's running but on the cold starts I feel like an a** hole to my neighbors.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
When all that muffler swapping was done, did they possibly remove the little valve thingy that opens and closes depending on engine temp?

I know it has a fancy name, but it escapes me atm... :cool:
Something like "Active Exhaust"...

Anyway, if that is removed, it will throw a CEL...

Just a guess,
Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When all that muffler swapping was done, did they possibly remove the little valve thingy that opens and closes depending on engine temp?

I know it has a fancy name, but it escapes me atm... :cool:
Something like "Active Exhaust"...

Anyway, if that is removed, it will throw a CEL...

Just a guess,
Pete
Pete,

No the active valves were not removed, luckily Dodge was smart and put the valves on by them selves instead of inside the mufflers like other manufacturers...
They're both separated from the mufflers giving you the facility to remove the mufflers easily without tampering with the valves.

Also the valves are controlled according to throttle position. More throttle valve fully opens, less throttle valve half opens.

And yes if you disconnect the valves the vehicle thinks the valves are malfunctioning I'm sure there's a bypass connector to get rid of that issue if you wish to get rid of your valves.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Yep, there is a thing you can get that like physically "mimics" the valves, a thing with springs & stoppers. They let you keep the valves totally open but the active valve controller arms still think they are opening & closing the valves, cool idea...

Anyway, that was the ONLY think I could think of that would throw a warning light...
Heck, folks do complete straight pipes (with NO mufflers of any kind) and they don't get a CEL; so it's not a back pressure thing. I might be something totally unrelated, and it's just a coincidence that it threw a CEL at the same time that you did the muffler swapping stuff, because you're right, it just makes no sense...

Hope you solve it.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts