Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new guy here...son just recently bought a r/t...30000 miles..nice car..very clean..all was well and good for the first 2 weeks...last night in the driveway he started it up and what sounded like a very loud lifter tick...oils full and clean...do these cars have a tendency to make noise on start up until oil pressure is built up or are we already looking at problems...engine has 55Lbs oil pressure...5.8 litre

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes these cars are notorious with lifters making noise. I have a 2016 rt with only 30k and the lifters make noise sometimes during cold start ups. The dealership told me they didnt hear anything but they are full of shit. If you dont want to change the lifters try using synthetic oil and that might make the noise go away which it did with mine.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
They do make a tick, and some of the noise is injector pulse. I'd suggest checking out BND automotive for oil. From my personal experience, It def quiets down the hemi tick. I'm using it in both my SXT and my SRT and it's a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have an 18 R/T that gets the start up lifter tick occasionally but it's usually after the car has sat for a week or 2. when it happens it's only one lifter which I think is odd. I also have a Scat Pack that would do the same thing when it was stock. my Scat is modified now and has Johnson lifters . it sits for long periods of time and never ticks on start up.. Hmmm..

·
Registered
273 Posts
They do make a tick, and some of the noise is injector pulse. I'd suggest checking out BND automotive for oil. From my personal experience, It def quiets down the hemi tick. I'm using it in both my SXT and my SRT and it's a noticeable difference.
Interesting... I bought some BND oil for my Scat but have not put it in yet and was thinking about using it in my R/T also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts