Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Z family!
need some direction here.. I am about ready to start on engine mods, but I do not know where to take my baby for cam and internal stuff.
I live in Florence, SC.. and would definitely want to keep it close to home.. any suggestions?
thanks!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I do not think there are any performance shops close to your home town. May have to plan an overnighter and schedule everything for a one day install and tune. Petty's Garage in North Carolina, MMX and A2Speed in Martinsville Virginia or Better built in Virginia are the closest ones I can think of.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Give Steve White motors a call. Serious gear heads at that dealership. Get a quote and share.

Reactions: Blueridge Smoke

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Does Steve White do Cam installs now? I know they are great with the supercharger installs.

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392. Ray Barton forged 392, tvs2300, aluminum ds, to much to list
37 Posts
Does Steve White do Cam installs now? I know they are great with the supercharger installs.
Luke and his guy's at Steve White can do anything you need for your charger. They installed my ray barton motor and magnuson sc. Going strong since spring 2018. And they warranty their work for a year.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Do they do cam installs? Installing a motor already built from ray barton along with a blower is pretty easy. Installing a cam with the phaser is something some shops do not tackle. Different than just dropping the motor and installing a new one.

I am mainly talking about price and whether or not it is worth it for the shop to do. Labor for a cam install vs installing motors and blowers.

Maybe Luke can chime in. It would be good info

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392. Ray Barton forged 392, tvs2300, aluminum ds, to much to list
37 Posts
It was a short block, crank and rods, pistons. No cam. They did everything else. Hellcat cam and lifters, 37 degree vvt phaser. They've done lots of builds. And they race what they sell.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Steve White Motors is a Dodge Dealership, fear not about any kind of work you need from them. Also the best place to get parts.

Reactions: Blueridge Smoke

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used National Speed out of Wilmington, nc. They seem to do everything. My Whipple install came with a 1yr warranty. Search their website, they showcase all of their builds. A bunch of 5.7 builds on there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Whipple was installed on my bone stock '14 R/T AWD by National Speed in Richmond, VA, the same company that's located in Wilmington. Nice people. Big, clean shop, and lots of nice cars, including MOPARS.

My engine grenaded 7000 miles later, well within their warranty period. A rod broke and the block was punctured in two places, along with the oil pan.
They maintain that it's not a warranty issue; that the rod breaking was due to a preexisting problem. Which could well be true. I'll never know, as I'm not willing to go to court over this.

Since they have the car apart, switching to another shop isn't a practical option for me. So they are going to put in a forged short block and some other stuff. I believe they are basically competent at what they do; this may have been a one-off event.

But I'm seriously considering taking it to another shop after it's done, and paying them to check it out, including the tune.

As for doing mods in the future, I will seriously consider other shops including Steve White Motors in NC, even though they are all significantly farther away than NS. After this experience, 'close to home' is now a much less important factor in choosing a shop, for me.

Good luck with your mods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts