Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'd like to run 275/45R20's on the rear of my 2010 RT w/ R&T. I'd keep the stock 245/45R20's in the front. The rears would be 1" larger diameter than the front for a subtle forward raked look.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not this would cause an error code due to varying wheel speeds between front and rear tires, and if this would shift my car into a limp home mode?

I do have a predator to compensate for the diameter difference, but unsure if this would help the wheel speed difference

Thanks

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Instead of 275/45/20 go with 275/40/20. There is only a .02" difference in diameter between the 245/45/20 and 275/40/20 according to the Nitto Invo tire sizes. The 275/40/20 is what I and other Z members are running in the rear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I might have to run that tire.

The thing is, if possible, I WANT to run a little taller tire in the rear for a slight old school muscle car look. I know a 1" difference isn't much, but as long as my car will run without going into an error mode, I think I'd prefer the look.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Irun a 255/45/20 in the rear, its about a 1/3 of an inch taller then my front 245/45/20.. I have never had any issues and it does give it more of the rake look you are looking for..

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
The tire size will not pop any type of error codes. I have run tires with a 3" smaller overall diameter then stock and everything was fine.

You might want to use the predetor to adjust your tire size so your speedo and odometer are accurate

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Top Banana - thanks, that's encouraging! I might just try a 265/45, as it is .7" taller than the 245's. That equates to roughly a 2 1/2% difference in size, and I was told from one person that a 3% or more diff in tire size would thow a code and put the car in limp home mode

DRP - when you ran the 3" smaller tires, was it just the front tires or all 4? I wouldn't be worried about all 4 tires being a different size, as long as they are all the same size as each other. I'm concerned if there is a significant difference between the front and rear, that the wheel speed sensors will not like this and send the car into limp home mode

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Top Banana - thanks, that's encouraging! I might just try a 265/45, as it is .7" taller than the 245's. That equates to roughly a 2 1/2% difference in size, and I was told from one person that a 3% or more diff in tire size would thow a code and put the car in limp home mode

DRP - when you ran the 3" smaller tires, was it just the front tires or all 4? I wouldn't be worried about all 4 tires being a different size, as long as they are all the same size as each other. I'm concerned if there is a significant difference between the front and rear, that the wheel speed sensors will not like this and send the car into limp home mode

this was at the drag strip. I was running stock tires up front and smaller ones in the rear.

I have also run 17" Rims in the front and slicks in the back (Different sizes front then back and different front stock) There was never an issue but of course the TPMS warning light will go off since I didnt have sensors:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DRP - if you were running that much difference front to back, then I shouldn't have a problem!

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Thanks DRP - if you were running that much difference front to back, then I shouldn't have a problem!

yeah, you wont have a problem

Only time you would pop a code is if you changed the rear end gearing and did not change the settings in the diablo tune

1 - 9 of 9 Posts