Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anyone out there use Ethanol free gas? I heard it burns slower and is better for MPG... Thoughts?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I’ve always heard the same. Also that ethanol gas makes more power. I don’t think that the difference is worth it either way though. If you choose ethanol free you’re taking money away from American corn farmers (since the entire Midwest can’t seem to grow edible corn) and adding greenhouse gasses blah blah... so you buy the ethanol stuff and get 1/1000th hp boost. I’d just go with the better price at the pumps.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have to run 93 octane and only see 90 in my area or I would.

I use ethanol free to winterize my small engines along with an additive. During the summer I just run whats available. Ethanol attracts moisture and it will separate sometimes causing pitting and corrosion in the fuel systems.
Auto makers now days take care of this with materials. I don't have any "new" small engine equipment so I'm not sure about them. I know most user manuals tell you to run all the fuel out before long term storage.

If you look you may notice landscapers in particular using these pumps.

Reactions: Dannyboy

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use 90 octane ethanol free plus PRI-G additive in all my small and boat engines.

I tried it a couple times in our autos, but it didn’t make any noticeable difference in performance or mileage, so we went back to the regular mid-grade in the Charger and Ram.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ask any of the drivers that deliver fuel to gas stations what the stations tank fill valves on non-ethanol tanks look like compared to the ethanol fuel tanks. I have seen both and the ethanol ones are corroded badly. We dont have much choice here in my area but it is disturbing nonetheless.
I know the conditions inside my engine are not the same but it cant be good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have a few ethanol free stations around me, i have noticed a "slight" better MPG using ethanol free gas then regular fuel. I have also seen, (if the car feedback is correct) i can get 30 MPG from the car when using non ethanol then regular. I seem to stay around 26 to 28 Reg, and after about 2 to 3 fill ups of non ethanol, then it goes up to 28 to 30 AVG.
So if the non is priced close to reg, I just use non ethanol. Mainly not for the 3 to 4 ish MPG increase, but mainly to try to promote a cleaner engine, and less buildup, according to research i have read about both fuels in the past.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
To me, it's not worth the effort. The manual says we can use Ethanol gas, up to 15%, which is good since Kwik Trip sells 88 octane, E15 for cheaper than 87 octane.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree. I'm sure there are a few (very few) places around me to find non-ethanol. The only place I know for sure is 30+ miles away. Definetely not worth the trouble when I have a Quick Trip and Circle K within walking distance to my house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts