Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 dodge charger se/rallye 3.6 rwd.142,000 miles. I have an evap code show up, possible fuel filler neck. I'll replace when part arrives. But I've had the evap issue for about a year an a half. Replaced leak detection pump twice. I would smell gas inside the cab. I pulled the seat, inspected primary fuel pump and sending unit. Sending unit displayed signs of gas leak. Discolored, small darker cracks on top in ridges. I replaced with a Delphi sending unit. Ran fine for about 170 miles. Then code showed back up, being that I pulled the battery cable to change sending unit, one morning when I tried to start her. Not to mention, the start was struggling for gas, I assume. I would wait 15 mins, prime lines by powering units with key, then start. Much better, but still struggles. Could that be the evap leak, or should I replace the primary pump as well. Fuel regulator? What about a purge valve solenoid? I should mention that I'm not noticing fuel issue while driving, however I'm not galavanting or hot roddin it.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Fuel enters the reservoir of the main fuel pump module (driver side). The main fuel pump module pumps fuel through the filter to the auxiliary fuel pump module (passenger side) through a supply line inside the fuel tank. The fuel pressure regulator inside the auxiliary fuel pump module regulates the pressure at 58 psi (± 5 psi) and sends fuel to the engine.
Fuel pressure regulator is integrated with the auxiliary fuel pump module and is not serviced separately. The auxiliary fuel pump module must be replaced if the fuel pressure regulator is to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already replaced auxiliary pump. Bad pump? Could it be the the primary is old? I didn't think an evap leak would do that, but it's it possible? I'm all out of ideas

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Which codes show up in the log when you plug a scanner into the car's OBD2 port?

The fuel pressure regulator controls fuel system pressure. The PCM cannot detect a clogged fuel pump inlet filter, clogged in-line fuel filter, or a pinched fuel supply or return line. However, these could result in a rich or lean condition. The primary fuel has the fuel filter. If the filter is clogged you will have restricted fuel flow to the auxiliary fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think the primary pump having 144000 miles versus the auxiliary pump having 170ish miles is a factor? The obd code is 0456. Evap leak. But I've had that issue for almost 2 years. I'm replacing the gas filler today to remedy that code. The only problem is starting the vehicle, that I've noticed. Driving is good, fuel pressure wise. But I have to "prime" the vehicle 2 or 3 times, using the start button method, to get a healthy start. Otherwise it will start after the second attempt. Barely starting.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I have to "prime" the vehicle 2 or 3 times, using the start button method, to get a healthy start.
The problem could be fuel pressure leak-down. You replaced the auxiliary pump that has the fuel pressure regulator. Assuming it's good, the problem could be upstream with the fuel injectors. If any of the fuel injectors are leaking, into the cylinders after engine shutoff, the fuel rail will have air in it and need priming before sufficient fuel flow and pressure is available.
The only way to know is to install a fuel pressure gauge where the fuel line connects to the fuel rails.
You can wait until after the Evap leak is fixed and see if the startup problem is resolved. If you still have the startup problem you can install the fuel pressure gauge to see if pressure is maintained after engine shutoff. If pressure is not maintained then it's a question of "is it the pump or the injectors?".
If pressure remains steady after startup at 58 psi (± 5 psi), but drops after engine shutoff, the problem is probably leaky injectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check on that. I have to get a gauge and fittings. After I resolve the evap issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts