Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
No, you don't "get" horse power from a muffler... You free up horse power from the motor by allowing it to breathe a little better. Just like openning a water valve. When you open the valve, you release the water from the pipe. In regards to the motor, when you open up the exhaust you release some of the power in the motor. I hope that helps you understand.

Reactions: SRTAndy

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
The bottom line is that an aftermarket exhaust will make a car more powerful because it allows it to breathe better.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Unless you are fairly modded, a cat-back won't add any appreciable power. You'll actually get more from the weight loss :).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Unless you are fairly modded, a cat-back won't add any appreciable power. You'll actually get more from the weight loss :).
ok im a little confuse. would a full catback systme from flowmaster or etc. be better then a straight pipe? i dont get it. i want the sound n good air flow. so would is better?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm no expert yet but here's what I've got so far please correct me if I'm wrong. Most catback exhaust systems will increase flow and decrease back pressure resulting in a small increase in available horsepower, if your gonna do this you wanna do the CAI aswell. If you increase the pipe diameter you may get better flow but if you increase it too much you may actually reduce flow as the exhaust gas will cool down and become more dense. Reso's are very specifically tuned by the manufacturer and removing or changing these could potentially result in a loss of power but provide better sound. So catback systems seem to be more orientated to sound than performance gains unless the car is being heavily modded. The best way to improve performance is to start at the headers and replace the entire system. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wow, great article! It really clued me in to some things I didn't know about exhaust systems. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts