Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the write up on deleting the exhaust choke point on Overkill's website and finally decided to go ahead with it a couple of months ago. I'm in agreement with others who have looked into this and have stated concerns with eliminating a factory flex point. I know what happens when an exhaust isn't allowed to move with engine torque and have replaced more GM LS exhaust manifolds than I care to think about. So I looked around and found a 2.5" OD x 9" braided flex joint online and tried it out. Once I cut out the factory flex joint I was amazed at how much it chokes down. I took measurements but for the life of me can't find where I wrote them down. I cut out the old flex with a reciprocating saw making sure to cut out a shorter length that the new one going in. I slid in the new flex and had to apply upward pressure on the exhaust pipe to keep everything lined up. The 2.5" OD leaves just a slight gap when slid over the factory 2.25 OD pipe, but the weld takes care of this. I then tacked it in and make a couple of adjustments before I did the final weld, but it fit perfectly. I threw on some black exhaust paint and took it for a test drive. Right away I did notice a change in exhaust pitch and my calibrated butt dyno says I gained at least 80 horses. I could have gained 100 if I had chromed it, but maybe next time! Seriously, it does feel like there's a slight change in the bottom end torque off the line, but who knows. I will say my highway MPG has very slightly improved by just under 1 MPG. For anyone thinking about this I would suggest it and for those of you unable to weld it yourself these flex joints can be found easily and I'm sure your local shop would't have a problem putting it in.

IMG_6124.JPG

2.5" OD x 9" flex joint

IMG_6125.JPG

No choke points in new flex.

IMG_6129.JPG

Factory flex joint.

IMG_6130.JPG

Side by side comparison.

View attachment 91228

ID of factory flex.

IMG_6134.JPG

New flex joint installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow! Great post! I have a 3.6 chally but our downpipes are practically the same. I don’t have flex points anywhere on my exhaust and worry about stressing the system. I’ll keep this in mind as a possible mod. Thanks for the great write up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great write up! Already got a 2.5”x8” flex pipe on order!

Reactions: Shooterjgs

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have seen this on Overkill's site and thought about having it done.Great to have someone actually do it and go into it a little more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is something I seen too and was curious as I don’t really have a exhaust setup of any kind yet so did u notice anything different in sound?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it seems to be a little deeper when I'm really hammering on it. At idle I really don't notice any change. This mod along with the Mopar CAI and my ported intake and throttle body has really made a difference in sound.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yes it seems to be a little deeper when I'm really hammering on it. At idle I really don't notice any change. This mod along with the Mopar CAI and my ported intake and throttle body has really made a difference in sound.
I have the Mopar intake and intend to get those other items as well.Did you do a tune?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have a Diablosport intune with the Hemifever 93 octane tune. I did the porting and blending myself on the upper and lower intake manifold and the throttle body. There are videos on youtube that show how to do it with a dremmel tool and some sand paper. It's fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Inte
Yes I have a Diablosport intune with the Hemifever 93 octane tune. I did the porting and blending myself on the upper and lower intake manifold and the throttle body. There are videos on youtube that show how to do it with a dremmel tool and some sand paper. It's fairly easy.
Interesting, and how much faster have those mods made yoour Charger?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything added together has definitely made a difference. I wish I had dyno numbers or time slips, but I don't. I can say that this car is now quicker than my wife's 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi and I have taken a bone stock 2010 Challenger R/T from a light. The most noticeable mod was the Hemifever tune. You will see a difference right away. I'm always amazed at how different the car is when I put the factory tune on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts