Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blueboy455 his name on other forums (troy) has a freakishly fast stock block 6.1 hemi (that's right no fancy heads and a stock cam) --- way to go troy!!!! Just thought I'd share, see deep 11's can be had.....

A great crowd of lx's showed up for the occasion at Portland International raceway. He's got a homemade CAI and exhaust that he welded up last night. His only mods aside from those are a 90mm tb, 4400 stall tc and 3.73 gears.

It's an amazing feat given the no motor mods, who says our cars aren't fast, just imagine doing this on such a low budget.....

He ran 11.652 and 11.655 several runs to back it up all at 117 mph. Way cool on the mph...
The DA varied from 396 to 100 on the runs.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Pretty aweseome. Looks like those gears really helped out.

There is or shall I say was an LX that ran and I believe was the first LX to run into the 10's with a stock motor. No cam or head work. Although he was running a two stage nitrous. But the motor, tranny, and diff was all stock.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Pretty sweet numbers... I also have to assume he was running some kind of tune......

Thats very impressive with a stock motor..... what about weight reduction ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty aweseome. Looks like those gears really helped out.

There is or shall I say was an LX that ran and I believe was the first LX to run into the 10's with a stock motor. No cam or head work. Although he was running a two stage nitrous. But the motor, tranny, and diff was all stock.
Yes the gears in combination with slicks running at 12psi helped the 60 foot launch. I am sorry but power adders are a no brainer, huge difference throwing a nitrous shot and doing this with a stock motor on N/A. This car can do a ten's run as well with the juice. This car's tranny is also stock, no valve body.....and of course he has a tune since we run this car with E85.

Pretty sweet numbers... I also have to assume he was running some kind of tune......

Thats very impressive with a stock motor..... what about weight reduction ?
Yes a tune he wrote himself for E85. As for weight only pulled the front seat and rear. The race exhaust that he created is obviously lighter but does have a muffler, so not that much there...

Personally the interesting thing that we all need to take note of is that this is with the oem cam/heads/motor......

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Yes the gears in combination with slicks running at 12psi helped the 60 foot launch. I am sorry but power adders are a no brainer, huge difference throwing a nitrous shot and doing this with a stock motor on N/A. This car can do a ten's run as well with the juice. This car's tranny is also stock, no valve body.....and of course he has a tune since we run this car with E85.

Yes a tune he wrote himself for E85. As for weight only pulled the front seat and rear. The race exhaust that he created is obviously lighter but does have a muffler, so not that much there...

Personally the interesting thing that we all need to take note of is that this is with the oem cam/heads/motor......

I wasnt trying to down play it, I was just curious about the tune aspect.......

Mid 11s is incredible for a stock block :TU: These cars are bricks on wheels

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^didn't take it that way bud....given that you/I are nitrous junkies I know better....

I am just making it clear for everyone else. I remember how hard it was for me to get to that ET w/heads/cams and I have all the stupid receipts laying around, I think it's cool that w/patience and a good tune others can follow. It would be nice to see more chargers hitting 11's without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Can you give us any insight on the tuning set up? is he using diablo or something different?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
^^^didn't take it that way bud....given that you/I are nitrous junkies I know better....

I am just making it clear for everyone else. I remember how hard it was for me to get to that ET w/heads/cams and I have all the stupid receipts laying around, I think it's cool that w/patience and a good tune others can follow. It would be nice to see more chargers hitting 11's without breaking the bank.

Well, very true, but for us older chargers, we still need to spend a few $1000+ just to make sure our shafts dont snap with some good stickies:D

It would be nice to be able to throw DRs or slicks on and run down the track without a high risk of breaking something......

BTW, not to many 11s stock blocks, very impressive :TU:

·
Registered
10,186 Posts

That is what I was wondering! I am not trying to bash it!! I mean big reps to him for a great run!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Can you give us any insight on the tuning set up? is he using diablo or something different?
It would be a custom tune done on a dyno or from data logging and some R and D. Then loaded via the diablo.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I thought he said that his buddy did his own tune? Thats what I am asking is what did he do differently if anything at all out of what is normally done on a dyno?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now we're talking, this is how we learn/improve our cars, with good questions.
He's using diablo, today there's really nothing else as good for our cars, not that it's ideal though. I will get him to log onto this forum and he can give everyone more details. He actually has access to the cmr software, he owns a shop and he specializes on our cars, installs etc...I honestly think the slicks help alot, most disagree and say you need to use DR's at stock HP levels, but not sure I am in that camp. Then again for the older lx's it is an issue and many axles broke so people haven't tried going back to the slicks. The newer getrags do well with them and seem to hold up, thereby helping ET alot.

It would be a custom tune done on a dyno or from data logging and some R and D. Then loaded via the diablo.
Troy/I do street tuning. We've both found that big HP numbers do not equate to good ET's, at least not always. He's spent alot of time getting the timing curve and afr just right for track conditions, dyno tends to throw real world conditions off just enough to prevent the good ET's, that's my personal view.

I thought he said that his buddy did his own tune? Thats what I am asking is what did he do differently if anything at all out of what is normally done on a dyno?
As said above all about the street driveability and tuning in live conditions. I will add that the race exhaust that he built yesterday was the last piece of the puzzle, basically catless tubes going to old school short muffler, loud as all hell.

probably did a lot of data logging and seeing what worked the best and adjusted from there.
exactly, tuning each piece as he went.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He's using diablo, today there's really nothing else as good for our cars, not that it's ideal though. I will get him to log onto this forum and he can give everyone more details. He actually has access to the cmr software, he owns a shop and he specializes on our cars, installs etc...I honestly think the slicks help alot, most disagree and say you need to use DR's at stock HP levels, but not sure I am in that camp. Then again for the older lx's it is an issue and many axles broke so people haven't tried going back to the slicks. The newer getrags do well with them and seem to hold up, thereby helping ET alot.

Troy/I do street tuning. We've both found that big HP numbers do not equate to good ET's, at least not always. He's spent alot of time getting the timing curve and afr just right for track conditions, dyno tends to throw real world conditions off just enough to prevent the good ET's, that's my personal view.

As said above all about the street driveability and tuning in live conditions. I will add that the race exhaust that he built yesterday was the last piece of the puzzle, basically catless tubes going to old school short muffler, loud as all hell.

exactly, tuning each piece as he went.
Great info!!! It would be great to see him on here!

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
And I'm all ears wanting to learn as much as I can about tuning. Ever since I have gotten Diablo it's all I've wanted to do is learn how to tune our Hemi's. Unfortunatly no one wants to give up any information at all. I've even read a tuning book on Fords hoping to get some insight. It all seems to center around a good Air / fuel mix and a few other things. I just wish I could better understand it all and have it explained to me. So I can learn what to manipulate where and when.

I need a wideband O2. I really do:i_rolleyes:

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
And I'm all ears wanting to learn as much as I can about tuning. Ever since I have gotten Diablo it's all I've wanted to do is learn how to tune our Hemi's. Unfortunatly no one wants to give up any information at all. I've even read a tuning book on Fords hoping to get some insight. It all seems to center around a good Air / fuel mix and a few other things. I just wish I could better understand it all and have it explained to me. So I can learn what to manipulate where and when.

I need a wideband O2. I really do:i_rolleyes:

yeah, a wideband is important to have in the car, especially if you want to tune and log.......

As far as basics go(NA tune), you want to run as much timing as you can while maintaining a safe A/F ratio, and have little to no KR....... LT KR should be 0 and ST KR should be kept under 3........ the hotter the motor gets the more likely you will see some spikes above 3 but really should not exceed on a regular basis.......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts