Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a decent deal with my 2008 charger sxt with the 3.5, 226k km on the odometer and fresh rear brakes and rotors and basically a new set of studded winter tires for 2k (cdn) so not a bad deal for a first car I think. They used a code reader and it came up with the following

P0133: O2 Sensor circuit slow response
P0420: Catalytic system efficiency below threshold
P0462: Fuel level sensor 'A' circuit low

PENDING
P0133: O2 Sensor Circuit slow response

Now it seems fine it has some quirks like when I give it has it hits a certain point and goes a lot faster (my friend compared it to VTEC basically) so I'm gonna take my AI off and clean it with some Chem cleaner stuff as well as where the actuator is, also gonna use some fuel system cleaner for the next couple fills since it's probably never been done. They also fitted an exhaust on it (no idea if it's custom or how much but it goes to a single pipe now rather than the stock dual singles) they said that's causing the CC code but unfortunately I've been reading and my remote start won't work (starts for 3 seconds or so and shuts off) due to the CEL so I need to clear it or find the issue cause Canadian winters are cold, when turning tighter low or higher speeds I can hear a whining noise (power steering pump?) But it still is silky smooth to turn, transmission shifts smooth and strong still, when stopped if I come off the break rather than a slow roll forwards it kinda stuffers so not sure what that's about, any ideas on what's wrong or what to do would be greatly appreciated :)!!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
They also fitted an exhaust on it (no idea if it's custom or how much but it goes to a single pipe
The stock exhaust on the 3.5L V6 has dual exhaust manifolds. Each exhaust manifold connects to a catalytic converter (CAT) that converges to a single pipe, muffler and resonator (see illustration below).
There's four O2 sensors ... two on each side. There's the upstream O2 sensor above the CAT and the downstream O2 sensor below the CAT. The code will identify the O2 sensor as 1/1, 1/2, 2/1, 2/2. The first number identifies the bank (1 or 2) and the second number identifies the upstream/downstream position (1=upstream, 2=downstream).
For a V6 or V8 inline engine, Bank1 is the left-side of the engine (driver side) and Bank2 is the right-side of the engine (passenger).

P0133 - O2 SENSOR 1/1 SLOW RESPONSE
This is the upstream O2 sensor on the driver side.

P0420 - CATALYST 1/2 EFFICIENCY
This is the downstream O2 sensor on the driver side.

P0133 can be electrical wiring problem (wiring harness/connectors), exhaust leaks, bad O2 sensor.
P0420 can be electrical wiring problem (wiring harness/connectors), exhaust leaks, bad O2 sensor or bad CAT.

upload_2019-9-9_22-8-46.png

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
P0462 - FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT LOW
This can be electrical wiring problem (wiring harness/connectors) or the fuel level sensor. The fuel level sensor is in the fuel pumps. There's two fuel pumps and each pump has a fuel level sensor card. The fuel pumps are accessible by removing the rear seat and access covers for the right-side/left-side fuel pumps. The older Chargers (2008?) have a removable fuel level sensor card in each pump. In the newer Chargers the fuel level sensor is integrated in the fuel pump and the pump has to be replaced.
Fuel Level Sensor 1 is located on the primary side of the tank (driver side).

The problem could be the instrument panel gauge. There's a instrument cluster actuator test you can run.
1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.
2. Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
3. While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
4. Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
5. The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the cluster and perform a bulb check of each operational LED indicators. The cluster segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a cluster segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster has a problem.
6. The actuator test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts