Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I was in K-Mart the other day and saw a Craftsman 2 ton floor jack and stand kit for $120.

That sounds like a decent price but I'm worried that since the car is around 4500 if that would be safe or if I need to step up to the 6 ton?

·
Registered
513 Posts
350 lbs of speakers in yer junk?

But your not picking up the whole car so 2 ton is fine. I would make sure you get a low (or sport car) jack. That way if you ever lower your car you can jack it up without needing 2x10's.
I recommend buying a jack AND ramps, as ramps are safer and easier to use for most routine maintenence.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
350 lbs of speakers in yer junk?

But your not picking up the whole car so 2 ton is fine. I would make sure you get a low (or sport car) jack. That way if you ever lower your car you can jack it up without needing 2x10's.
I recommend buying a jack AND ramps, as ramps are safer and easier to use for most routine maintenence.
I agree with you! When you jack your car or take it on stand you have to think about the weight repartition. If you use 2 stands for the front, you can pretty much divide the weight by 2 since the 2 back wheels are still on the ground. In plus 4,500 lbs : 2 = 2.250 lbs and if you use 2 floor jack that will be 2.250 : 2 = 1.125 lbs on each. It's find! But always apply the rule of double security. That mean when you need a specific level, choose the one who can support the double! :TU:

·
Registered
138 Posts
We have Harbor Freight Tool Store out here in the NE and I just got a 3,000 lbs racing jack for 60 bucks...after forty dollar rebate...I plan to use it for my cars just to do brakes...for oil changes I use ramps they r safer and because the drain pan plug is to the back of the pan it is easier to change oil that way. And of course ramps are safer than jacks in my opinion.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
I have two a Craftsmen 3 ton and a Harbor Freight 2 ton low profile jack.. The Harbor Freight gets the most work, since my car is lowered..

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My rule of thumb is, the jack or jack stands should be atleast equal to or more than the weight of the car......ie, 4500 lbs = 2 1/4 tons.
Better to be alittle over than under, safety is the number one rule too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I went with a 3 ton jack & stands combo, already had 3 ton ramps which was a good thing as I have to get the car part way on the ramps to get the jack under her. :-( Didn't even think about how low the SRT sits without being lowered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts