Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing is first I haven't posted in a while so what's up to the Z!? Now I am going to begin by asking how all the Spartan cam owners like their cam? I have been looking at a few different cams and I think this is the one for me. I don't have heads but I will sooner or later, for now I just want the cam. As for other mods I have LT headers, LM1 exhaust, K&N FIPK Stage 2 CAI, Jet 180 T-stat, 93 CAI predator Tune. If someone has a similar set-up I want to know if it still makes a good daily driver, and I also would like to know where I will see the most gains as far as on the low end or high end? Thanks

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
First thing is first I haven't posted in a while so what's up to the Z!? Now I am going to begin by asking how all the Spartan cam owners like their cam? I have been looking at a few different cams and I think this is the one for me. I don't have heads but I will sooner or later, for now I just want the cam. As for other mods I have LT headers, LM1 exhaust, K&N FIPK Stage 2 CAI, Jet 180 T-stat, 93 CAI predator Tune. If someone has a similar set-up I want to know if it still makes a good daily driver, and I also would like to know where I will see the most gains as far as on the low end or high end? Thanks

I have had mine installed for over a year and 14k since install.. I drive it every day, it has a nice idle you can definitely hear the cam but its not to aggressive.. I would have to say it pulls the strongest in second gear, she pulls like a ****ing rocket from second through third.. When I did my research wich mainly was Stu, I told him what I wanted in a cam and the Spartan was his recomendation.. I told him I wanted a strong cam with a noticable ilde and good driveability. I also told him I didn't want to to do heads at that time.. So in a nutshell, I love my Spartan...:TU:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
If u r going to do heads in the near future i would get the srt max or the spartan max cam......both are awesome..

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
What is the labor cost on a CAM install...ballpark?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, I have a question about the SRT Max and Spartan Max cams they both say they require the performance heads? I am going to do my heads but it won't be for a few months or so. Whats the difference between the three and can I still run just the cam (SRT Max, Spartan Max) without the heads?

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Stu will tell you that is what he suggests running with that cam. he does have a few customers running the SRT MAX with stock heads though. If you plan on upgrading heads later you may as well go with the cam you want. give him a call and talk with him. He is really easy going and helpfull.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Stu will tell you that is what he suggests running with that cam. he does have a few customers running the SRT MAX with stock heads though. If you plan on upgrading heads later you may as well go with the cam you want. give him a call and talk with him. He is really easy going and helpfull.

I agree, talk to Stu when you are ready.. He suggested for what I was looking for, he highly recomended the Spartan to me..

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I have a Spartan 111LSA and absolutely love it. It pulls really hard down low and in the higher rpms. The 111LSA makes the idle NASTY! I love it. Its my daily driver also! I also have the performance heads, a full exhaust,
85mm tb, pulley, cai in the dyno shown.
I now have the 09 eagle intake manifold and 2800 stall, so my car should have even better numbers now, and my torque curve should keep level until 6,***rpm or so now.

This dyno is before I put the 09 eagle intake and 2800 protorque converter!
the dyno was done in 96.* degree weather, TOTALLY heat soaked inside of a even hotter a more stagnant shop with NO fan blowing into the front, like the worst possible conditions! 365rwhp 360rwtq.
I could of got 385rwhp easily Johan said if it were nice conditions!
Here you go! Look at that torque curve! Johan said it was flat as a pancake!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have a Spartan 111LSA and absolutely love it. It pulls really hard down low and in the higher rpms. The 111LSA makes the idle NASTY! I love it. Its my daily driver also! I also have the performance heads, a full exhaust,
85mm tb, pulley, cai in the dyno shown.
I now have the 09 eagle intake manifold and 2800 stall, so my car should have even better numbers now, and my torque curve should keep level until 6,***rpm or so now.

This dyno is before I put the 09 eagle intake and 2800 protorque converter!
the dyno was done in 96.* degree weather, TOTALLY heat soaked inside of a even hotter a more stagnant shop with NO fan blowing into the front, like the worst possible conditions! 365rwhp 360rwtq.
I could of got 385rwhp easily Johan said if it were nice conditions!
Here you go! Look at that torque curve! Johan said it was flat as a pancake!
Well since u upgraded to the eagle did u get another custom tune done so everything in sync together?

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I asked Johan, and he said to add 5% fuel to the 2 upper RPM ranges. Im sure there is more power to be had with a custom tune with my new combo. Car drives awsome though.
I might get another dyno done this winter to show before and after results.
The weather conditions should be much better in the winter since its so hot down in Florida!! Im hoping to get around 390RWHP! I think I could do it.
Maybe even 400RWHP easy with meth injection!

·
PLS EMAIL INSTEAD OF PM
1,649 Posts
I have a Spartan, and I also work for Inertia, so feel free to email me as well for specific questions, if you'd like. The Spartan is a great overall cam as the others have posted. If you go SRT MAX or SSM on a 5.7, you should do a torque converter as well or your low end power will go down as the SRT MAX and SSM are geared more toward mid-top end power. The Spartan, however, provides a nice power bump throughout the range. If you a Spartan and heads and headers, your power level will be very close to stock SRT numbers so quite a big power upgrade over a non-cammed R/T.

Let me know if I can help with anything specific :)

Jacob

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
What do you think the Spartan in a 5.7 can run in the quarter mile?

·
Banned
2,578 Posts

·
Registered
12,833 Posts

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
What do you think the Spartan in a 5.7 can run in the quarter mile?

With your mods well into the 12s, i am hoping for low 13s myself.. I will see for sre at the Mopar Nationals next month..

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
That sounds mean as hell. Did you remove the rev limiter? Sounds a lot higher than 4k.
I did tweak the rev limit in park a little; I think I moved it to around 5,000 rpm, I do not remember the exact number though.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Sounds great how did you get your catch can up like that? I couldn't see the bracket? could you take some good pics for us?

I do have the Z-bracket from Billet tech, I guess you cant see it since the quality isnt that good. I will take some pics soon for you guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts