Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There needs to be a manual made for using the auto stick on these cars...i still having figured out how to use it...when to up shift...when to down shift...do you keep your foot on the gas when u use it? Etc...Etc...I wish someone made a video or something on how to use it properly....:i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
As far as upshifts and downshifts, I do it by sound and feel. If the car sounds and feels like it needs another gear I downshift. If it feels like it's starting to bog, I upshift. You can't go wrong, If the car feels like you don't know what to do it'll eventually shift either way for you. And you don't have to take your foot off when shifting.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
have you ever driven a stick shift car? its the same only no clutch. shift at the same points. shift into higher gears and accelerate slow for better gas mileage, or use the revs to make the car feel more peppy. you don't need to let off to shift.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
There's no manual because it's hard to explain beyond the basics.

Really it's just up to you in practicing what you and your car feel comfortable with.

I can tell you the auto-shift limits are at ~45 mph for 1-2, ~75mph for 2-3, and ~115 mph for 3-4. So if you drop it into first and floor it, the computer will automatically shift at these speeds.

Also the slowest you can go in 5th is 35 mph, maybe a tad under. 4th is roughly 25 mph, 3rd is about 15 or so, 1st and 2nd you can idle - though your car won't like launching in 2nd, and often will revert back to 1st.

Basically, autostick is a clutchless manual, with idiot protection. You can't over-rev the engine... but you can drive around in the wrong gear.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One thing a manual should say, "Never Drag without being in Autostick Mode!".
Best way to blow the ricer away is to the let the autositck be in play!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you ever driven a stick shift car? its the same only no clutch. shift at the same points. shift into higher gears and accelerate slow for better gas mileage, or use the revs to make the car feel more peppy. you don't need to let off to shift.

Hey I m a city boy....so I have never had the opportunity of driving a manual...I have been looking a youtube videos that show how to drive a stick so I can get a general idea...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
There's no manual because it's hard to explain beyond the basics.

Really it's just up to you in practicing what you and your car feel comfortable with.

I can tell you the auto-shift limits are at ~45 mph for 1-2, ~75mph for 2-3, and ~115 mph for 3-4. So if you drop it into first and floor it, the computer will automatically shift at these speeds.

Also the slowest you can go in 5th is 35 mph, maybe a tad under. 4th is roughly 25 mph, 3rd is about 15 or so, 1st and 2nd you can idle - though your car won't like launching in 2nd, and often will revert back to 1st.

Basically, autostick is a clutchless manual, with idiot protection. You can't over-rev the engine... but you can drive around in the wrong gear.
the stuff in red does not apply to all chargers. 06 SRT's, any car with the Mopar TCM, and some diablo tune settings will not upshift for you. you just bounce the rev limiter like a true auto stick car.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I got a '06 SRT and it upshifts....

Only mod I got on it is a CAI

·
Registered
29 Posts
I noticed when in auto the evic will display fuel saver mode but when I put it to manual mode this never displays. Does fuel saver only work in auto mode? This is my first automatic car only had it a couple days and I keep stomping on the floor like ahhh where'd the clutch go lol. Not really impressed with the speed of the shifts seems to be a little smoother if I lift of the gas a bit but there's a delay b4 the power kicks in that I never had with a stick. idk maybe the larger engine has something to do with it always driven hyper-active 4 bangers b4 this.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Ya, the MDS only works when in auto. The tranny can be a but slow an sluggish, but the predator fixes that right up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cool thanks. Predator is at the top of my wish list with cai and exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts