Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all - name's Andy

I come from a predominantly Chrysler family and this will be my first Dodge vehicle. I myself fly a blue oval flag.

I need you guys to bring me up to speed on 1971 Chargers and years around '71 that work together (example - can I put a '73 tail panel on a '71?). I've flipped through a few online sites as well as Wikipedia's shpeal about Chargers and I feel that I still don't know enough about them. I could bore you guys for hours about 'Stangs - but that won't help in this situation.

I have a '70 Mustang project that became too much for me and my Uncle so I put it up for sale. I received an offer to trade on a much better condition '71 Charger (base model as far as I know) with a running 318 under the hood. I'm going to go through with it.

What I need from you guys is info and LOTS OF IT. Things to look for, known problems, little tweaks to make the car better, etc. etc. I'm not a big horsepower person, so as long as the 318 stays running it'll stay in there with maybe a few top end goodies - I'm not looking to do a 440ci or 4 speed swap or anything crazy like that.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the Z from WV.. Here are your issues...as of 1973 the rear end was changed to accept the 5 MPH crash bumpers.. the frame was altered to accept the bumpers.. I don't know what your long term goals are for your car you could graft it on BUT it will decrease it's value and the Mopar guys will ask why did you do that ?? They are repo parts out for the 1971 and that is the way I would go... BTW before I put any money into the 318.. not unless you are looking for a restoration of your charger.. I woulod look to swap a 360 into that bad boy.. not put top end money into the 318...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. What's a good site or thick book for repo parts? I can't seem to find anything for a '71 and I can see from one of the photos I need the taillight bezel.

What's up with the 318? Unreliable, underpowered, just a poor motor in general? The little 302 in my '70 Stang has 351 heads, an Edlebrock intake, and LT Flowtechs - that things rocks the car at idle.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Year One, The Paddock, go to Books-a-million and pick up some mopar mags and they will lead you to the promised land...there is nothing wrong with the 318 they are great motors.. but...the 360 is a much better motor in that big a car and will bolt up to your current K-member, motor mounts.. and everything else.. plus you get much better heads and a ton more torque to move that boat.. is the car a SE or a ralley by chance ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Year One, The Paddock, go to Books-a-million and pick up some mopar mags and they will lead you to the promised land...there is nothing wrong with the 318 they are great motors.. but...the 360 is a much better motor in that big a car and will bolt up to your current K-member, motor mounts.. and everything else.. plus you get much better heads and a ton more torque to move that boat.. is the car a SE or a ralley by chance ???
I think the car is straight "Base" if there was that option. Flat hood, no gills on the doors, headlights are not hidden, 3/4 landau roof, taillights are square with two per side and the reverse lamp in the middle. I looked up paint codes and the exterior seems to be a GF3 - Medium Green Metallic or GF7 - Dark Green Metallic - paint's rough and it's hard to tell. Wheels look like 5 spoke painted flat gray.

Interior looks to be white and off gold with woodgrain down the middle of the doors. Automatic trans.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Hey Andy, welcome. I have a '73 and '08 Charger and started with my '73 like you. Without getting too deep, what you do is totally up to you. But, just like a baby, you will have to crawl and learn about your ride. I suggest you check out a couple older Charger boards. Go here for strickly 71 - 74 Chargers [url]http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi#sales[/URL]
and here [url]http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/[/URL] for all B bodied Mopars and [url]http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php[/URL] for all mopars. Read and learn. You will find by searching eBay, what it costs for parts. Lots on nos and used. There are also several manufacturers of replacement parts, plus some stuff is available at your local parts store and still at your local Dodge dealer. Make sure you have deep pockets as some stuff is like gold. If you are familiar with eBay, like anything else for auction, one seller has a part for $100 and another has the same thing for $50. You have to do some homework to save a few bucks. I do suggest you get the Dodge body and chassis service manuals for your year. Get the books, not the dvd unless you have a lap top to take out to the garage. You can pm me if you have any questions. There are a few other members that also have 3rd generation Chargers and will answer your questions.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Isn't that on craigslist for sale up in Vermont?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't that on craigslist for sale up in Vermont?
If it was it's not anymore today. I don't see why it wouldn't be since the guy is in Vermont. Do you have an old link to the posting?

·
Premium Member
863 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Your car looks to be in pretty good shape for a northern car.. be sure and check your frame rails.. also check the gaskets on your wiper arms.. big time leak problem.. looks like power brakes and Disc's up front would get your going.. also need sway bar.. great suspension stuff for these cars now.. new leaf springs in the back.. great thing about your year is no rubber biscuts to deal with !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link. Like i said, I looked in Vermont listings and didn't see it.

Your car looks to be in pretty good shape for a northern car.. be sure and check your frame rails.. also check the gaskets on your wiper arms.. big time leak problem.. looks like power brakes and Disc's up front would get your going.. also need sway bar.. great suspension stuff for these cars now.. new leaf springs in the back.. great thing about your year is no rubber biscuts to deal with !!
What are these rubber biscuits you speak of?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The last generation of the "B" bodies had rubber biscuts installed in the sub-frames and do nothing for the handeling of the cars.. plus now if you have one of the crs you are looking to replace them or that make a soild mount to replace the rubber biscuts....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it home this weekend.

The worst of the rust

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mice............

Fender Tag

Started the body work. Rattle can for now - spray gun later

Bit me Sunday morning - Not even a day old and it already drew blood....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did a better part of the body work on Sunday and stripped a few parts, trim, and interior stuffs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts