Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, Anyone know a free-air (infinate baffle) 8" sub that can handle ~200+ watts RMS? I'm going to install an 8" sub in the factory location in the rear deck and want to use one of the following amps:

Im trying to power it with either a JL Audio250/1 (250 watts no matter load, one channel) or a MTX Thunder 275X (@ 14.4V, 85x2 @ 4 ohms, or 280 bridged @ 4ohms). I have the amps from prior installs, so it's econimical for me to try and use them.

The off amp will go into the GTO, where I am powering a pair of 6.5 Kicker subs (150W RMS Ea).

I suppose if I have to I could run an 8 ohm woofer.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
JL Audio ZR800-CW = $230 Crutchfield

Specs:
8" 4-ohm component woofer
mineral-filled polypropylene cone with Santoprene surround
cast aluminum basket with Elevated Frame Cooling
mesh grille included
power handling: 75-150 watts RMS (225 watts peak power)
frequency response: 50-500 Hz
sensitivity: 87 dB
top-mount depth: 3-3/8"
sealed box volume: 0.75 cubic feet
ported box volume: 1.125 cubic feet
warranty: 1 year

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have tried an aftermarket sub in the stock location and the results were horrible. Unless you Dynamat EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, it will sound like garbage. I had an 8" Rockford Fosgate P1 150w RMS sub there and I built a custom box for under the rear deck so I didn't have to use an infinite baffle sub and all it did was rattled everything.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife has ordained that the charger SHALL remain box-free (it's the family trip car, and she drives it half the year) if I wish to continue playing the mommy-daddy game.

So no box, I'll keep the sound deadener in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I say go for it. the cool thing is you won't need alot of sound deadener!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I ordered an image dynamics id8 sub and a roll of fatmat, fusing and I'm going to use the mtx amp. I'll try and remember pics.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Those ID's are nice subs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts