Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have been a Forumz member for a long time. However, I have not made to many posts. I have little time make many posts due to the obligations of wife, kids, and business. But I have found this to be a valuable resource as to care of my Charger. The reason for my post is to show what I have learned from the forum and to seek advice that will help me to reach my goal of sub 14 sec., 100 mph runs at the drags.

My baseline runs begin as most Daytona R/Ts high 14s at 92 or 93.

I have made some modifications: K&N CAI, 180 t-stat., Diablo 93 octane tune, and SLP Long tube headers. The T-stat I use to eliminate heat soak. This combined with the Diablo 93 octane tune is worth about 4 to 5 mph. Here is where I get stumped. With these mods I ran mid 14s at 97 to 98.

This winter I made the investment in a set of SLP Long tube headers. On other cars headers made a significant increase in power. Last night I went to the track thinking "ok with these headers I surely will eclipse the 100 mph and descend below 14 seconds. The track was cooler the temperature was cooler, so I thought that the odds were with me.

I made five passes each getting progressively quicker, but I was unable to reach my goal. My best pass was 14.030 @ 99.15 mph. Now I know from past experience that headers should have a greater influence than this. I must admit that I fell for the advertising of 30 to 40 horses with the headers. Thinking that I have dropped the heavy exhaust manifolds and putting on the lighter headers along with removing everything in the car that is not bolted on, I was sure that the headers would be as effective as the tuner.

I am at a lost to describe why I could not gain 2.5 to 3 mph over the tuner and other mods. Logic seems to tell me that the headers should be worth as much as the tune. I realize my drag racing skills are not the best but I thought that the headers would give me more than I got.

Any help short of major engine mods such as heads, cams and parts that are currently out of my price range would be appreciated.

Regards,

Curtis

Reactions: azoth99

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ok guys, I have been a Forumz member for a long time. However, I have not made to many posts. I have little time make many posts due to the obligations of wife, kids, and business. But I have found this to be a valuable resource as to care of my Charger. The reason for my post is to show what I have learned from the forum and to seek advice that will help me to reach my goal of sub 14 sec., 100 mph runs at the drags.

My baseline runs begin as most Daytona R/Ts high 14s at 92 or 93.

I have made some modifications: K&N CAI, 180 t-stat., Diablo 93 octane tune, and SLP Long tube headers. The T-stat I use to eliminate heat soak. This combined with the Diablo 93 octane tune is worth about 4 to 5 mph. Here is where I get stumped. With these mods I ran mid 14s at 97 to 98.

This winter I made the investment in a set of SLP Long tube headers. On other cars headers made a significant increase in power. Last night I went to the track thinking "ok with these headers I surely will eclipse the 100 mph and descend below 14 seconds. The track was cooler the temperature was cooler, so I thought that the odds were with me.

I made five passes each getting progressively quicker, but I was unable to reach my goal. My best pass was 14.030 @ 99.15 mph. Now I know from past experience that headers should have a greater influence than this. I must admit that I fell for the advertising of 30 to 40 horses with the headers. Thinking that I have dropped the heavy exhaust manifolds and putting on the lighter headers along with removing everything in the car that is not bolted on, I was sure that the headers would be as effective as the tuner.

I am at a lost to describe why I could not gain 2.5 to 3 mph over the tuner and other mods. Logic seems to tell me that the headers should be worth as much as the tune. I realize my drag racing skills are not the best but I thought that the headers would give me more than I got.

Any help short of major engine mods such as heads, cams and parts that are currently out of my price range would be appreciated.

Regards,

Curtis
Very informative write up there Curtis.
My suggestion would be to upgrade your torque convertor to be able to launch that bad boy out the hole and get your top speed up by the end of the 1/4. get with some of the vendors on here like BMC or others to find out more specific details.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well, what are your 60's to start out with. I would bet the culprit is either: more seat time needed, or B: need a custom tune to get the most out of your long tubes.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
I am kind of stumped, with my AEM CAI JBA shorties with their mids Flowmasters and my Daiblo I ran 13.7s at 102mph.. So I am not sure why you are not running in the high 13s.. Are you running the stock wheels and tires?

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I'd think he would get better times with shorties, than LT's? at least with the mods he is currently running anyway, that is until he gets alot more mods if he goes that route.
Something abot low end torque vs. top end... someone who knows hopefully will post.

What tires are you using also? better tires could help hooking up at the line.

Did you have more fuel in the tank this time as compared to last time.

Man you are almost right there, I bet more seat time will be the differnce.

A custom tune will prolly do you well. While at the track if you have a chance you should log your runs down the track each time. that could help you out and your tuner if you go that route.

I know headers do alot for other cars, but I haven't seen them do as much to ours as other cars as well. but they do, do something thats for sure, especially on heavily modded cars.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd think he would get better times with shorties, than LT's? at least with the mods he is currently running anyway?

Lt's will nearly always make more power then Shorties.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I would go with a custom tune and work the launch.

How do you think your launches go?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try to answer all of the questions with this reply as to the fact I do not know how to cut and paste very well.

Toxie. My sixty foot times averaged 2.290.

2006 Top Banana: I am running stock tires and wheels.

Azoth99: I had a third of a tank of gas. Might be a little more than I would have liked but put some good Chevron 93 octane gas in before I left for the track.

trainedkilla: My average launch time was .233 with just a small bit of wheel spin. I am running up to about 2000 rpm against the converter and trying to roll into the throttle and not hammer it.

Thanks guys for all of your input it is greatly appreciated.

Curtis

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well Curtis, that answers the question pretty well.

It's the 60' that's killing you. 2.3 is needing some work. I bet your best times from before had a better 60'. Once you get to around 2.0 your getting better, under 1.8 and your good.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Well Curtis, that answers the question pretty well.

It's the 60' that's killing you. 2.3 is needing some work. I bet your best times from before had a better 60'. Once you get to around 2.0 your getting better, under 1.8 and your good.

I agree, my 60' times are right at 2.0....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Definitely the 60' times need to get better. If you went with a set of DR's you would most likely get into the 2.05 range which would get you into the 13's.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
What are you doing with Traction control ? have you turned it off ?

Your 60 ft times are whats killing you...... if you could get closer to 2 seconds flat you would see your times drop to high 13s easy.......

Also, headers are a great mod along with a ported TB, but you should really get the car tuned to take full advantage of both of them

·
Registered
888 Posts
True but up top at higher RPM, usually with LT and stock everything else he is losing tq down low. So in essense, his LT are a wash trading slight higher HP up top and losing some Tq down low.

Lt's will nearly always make more power then Shorties.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
True but up top at higher RPM, usually with LT and stock everything else he is losing tq down low. So in essense, his LT are a wash trading slight higher HP up top and losing some Tq down low.

Well, I dunno how much difference that plays besides the launch. After the car shifts out of first gear into 2nd the RPMS are usually high enough not to experience a loss...... but could affect the launch TQ.......

I would still rather have LT headers

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
This is what I was talking about as with him having limited mods.
That maybe shorties would be better for TQ reasons. This only if he is not going to mod the car more. I do agree LT's will make more power but don't you need alot more mods to use them properly?

Well, I dunno how much difference that plays besides the launch. After the car shifts out of first gear into 2nd the RPMS are usually high enough not to experience a loss...... but could affect the launch TQ.......

I would still rather have LT headers
Yep thats the reason I traded up. plus I am planning on more mods for the motor.

What you said above makes sense though about after first gear. wouldn't the extra TQ help him off the line better though?

Also need to find out about his ESP though. Are you not disengaging it? just hitting the button or are you doing the KEY trick to dissengage it fully?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
What you said above makes sense though about after first gear. wouldn't the extra TQ help him off the line better though?

Also need to find out about his ESP though. Are you not disengaging it? just hitting the button or are you doing the KEY trick to dissengage it fully?
Well, I would counter act that with a Torque Converter.......

I would go with a 4000 Billet Stator..... and its VERY streetable...... I would doubt you would even know its in the car unless you tried launching with it

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
IMO DR's would be a good first investment.. my brother got a 1/2 second going to a smaller wheel tire combo/DR's with his Mustang.. I'm with DRP on the LT's.. top end power will increase your MPH..

·
Registered
513 Posts
LT's won't lose power down low either. They might make low-single-digits less ft-lbs. at lower RPM, but you'll still make significantly more power then stock AND make MUCH more power in the high end of the rev band, which is where you spend all your time if your actually racing.

Let me put it this way: Is 5 more ft-lbs of torque for 3 or less seconds worth more then 15 hp for the other 11 seconds? That's not even taking into account that you're already talking a car with 390 ft-lbs and no LSD (IE a smoke show machine already).
If anything, the "loss" (or lesser gain) of low-end torque is simi-beneficial when your stockish.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If anything, the "loss" (or lesser gain) of low-end torque is simi-beneficial when your stockish.

Agreed. Same thing for many of the aggressive cams that don't come alive until middle rpms. That's where you need the power... off the line on street tires is already hard to get a good launch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts