Dodge Charger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I tried this. When I pulled fues #48, my traction control light came on and I couldn't use my cruise control. So I tried pulling fuse #14. When I pulled this fuse, my ABS light, traction control light, and AWD service light came on plus no cruise control. I drive alot of highway miles, so it was not the route for me. Is this the same thing you experienced?
rofl.. you guys are doing this for fun?? :rolleyes:

On my used 09 RT AWD, the other day the same lights all popped up on me as I was driving, not to mention the "Check Engine" light!

I pull over, shut off the car, turn it on.. now only the engine light was on.

I see if I can get a code by cycling the key on and off 2x.. nothing.. then 3x.. nothing. I guess Chrysler's have a different way of doing it (shrugs)

I reset the oil change light and TB just for kicks.

I pop the hood and check all the fuses, push them all in securely.

Some were raised, but not much. Crank the motor up.. no lights, nadda.

Must have been a loose fuse.:D

I knew something was up because it was raining out and the esc/abs light was on, while on the dash it was stuck on RWD when I had first started her... weird.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So after drivin around with fuse 14 pulled for the past 6 weeks or so I finally put it back in to bring my car in for service. first oil change and to have both my door handles replaced. When I picked the car up they told me they also completed the recall to relocate fuse 14(mini) to fuse 6 and told me to disregard the notice when I received it.

So anyway...they obviously disconnected my battery to do the work because all my setting defaulted to factory. No big deal. But right away I noticed the car seemed to have lost power..it just wasn't the same. so much so that I called the dealer to see if they did any "updates" or anything to the pcm. they said they hadnt.

That was on Friday. Today I pulled fuse #48, which I should have done in the first place in order to keep ABS active and my dash isnt lit like a christmas tree anymore. Also..for some unknown reason when fuse 14 was pulled..I had to push the start button 3 times..everytime to start the car. That is also gone by pulling 48 instead.

Major point of my story..the power is back!! :TU:

I wish I had dyno number or track times to confirm the difference but It was alot..it is alot.

Im confused because doing full what runs..in auto..with no wheel spin..the car remains in 2 wheel anyway..so its not because the motor is turning all four tires compared to 2...?? coincidence? Just my imagination? I dont think so but who knows.

All I know is that fuse is staying out until winter rolls around and then its a whole new kind of fun!!!

By the way..when I talk about power..more specifically it was engine lag..it was talking waaaay longer to wind up..throughout the entire range. Once I disabled it..I wasnt off my street yet and I was smiling again.

Explanation anyone?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ok. After being at the track the past few hours, I ran the charger both with and without the AWD fuse (#48).

I did several quarters in both modes and I can say that with confidence I'm running faster in AWD mode - and I think I know why:

Even with the best barely-no-spin start in RWD, i'm doin 15.35 quarter mile (don't laugh, i'm high altitude, DA today was around 8700 feet).

In AWD mode, I can press the gas pedal all the way to the floor when power braking, with zero slip when I release the brake. In this mode I consistently get 15.1 quarter miles.

The first time I did this in RWD mode, I sat there and spun for a while - wayyyy to much power to just the rear wheels cost me a 17.3 second run.

So, practice practice, I know about the shoulder roll, and while the Charger was cooling i was practicing rolling into the throttle. A few runs of this and I got the wheel slip to a minimum with what I thought were very decent launches. Got the time down to the above mentioned 15.35.

So, with AWD, I can press the torque converter a bit more and get better short times. I think a high stall torque converter and AWD races only will be the best time for me.

Edit: check out some videos @ http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139984

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
When you pull #48, what lights are lit up and what all doesn't work or is #48 just for AWD?

·
Registered
749 Posts
What were the sixty foot times and MPH in AWD and RWD?
The best slips in both modes:

AWD:
R/T .005
60' 2.306
330' 6.456
1/8 9.809
mph 73.54
1000' 12.717
1/4 15.157
mph 92.85

RWD:
R/T 0.095
60' 2.395
330' 6.616
1/8 9.994
mph 73.19
1000' 12.918
1/4 15.359
mph 92.44

When you pull #48, what lights are lit up and what all doesn't work or is #48 just for AWD?
Traction control, transaxle disconnect, stability, adaptive cruise, cruise, blind spot monitoring cease to function.

FCW, SERV AWD, Traction lights all on.

The fuse formally known as #14 (after the recall, they relocate this fuse) does all of the above plus ABS.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I noticed that in my 09, the AWD is a little more forgiving. I can spin (roast!) the tires at the light before the AWD even kicks in! lol

Launching in AWD and even power braking does absolutley NOTHING.

My theory is that at the track, I can launch it hard enough in RWD mode to get off the line with enough power, before AWD takes over and I have 100% traction (better overall launch).

Gonna test it out Saturday if weather permits..

I also tried disengaging ABS/ESC (cranking the ignition key forward at 10mph until it beeps and the ESC/ABS shuts off) leaving it in RWD. Not only is it scary but worthless.. feels slow!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I noticed that in my 09, the AWD is a little more forgiving. I can spin (roast!) the tires at the light before the AWD even kicks in! lol
Yeah, same with my 2011. It's interesting, during a brake-stand the car doesn't engage traction, doesn't engage AWD... wierd.

Launching in AWD and even power braking does absolutley NOTHING.
It's nice, eh? No wheel spin, harder launches than in RWD.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ohhh, I see. Agreed on that point, it seems the car spent more time in AWD than out. Perhaps its best to think of it as an AWD vehicle that has the ability to sometimes be RWD, rather than the other way around.

I think, for the best track time, launch with AWD and then once you know you've got grip, disengage the AWD to finish out the rest of the quarter mile in RWD only mode.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
lol I tried that once and it actualy worked! (on my 09)..

not sure I want to be playing with anything while my car is at wide open throttle though :D

Just sayin'.

My 09 stays in RWD mode 90% of the time I owned it. In all fairness, it's a lot warmer out now than in the winter when I owned the 2012 lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
AWD disconnect

I have a 2009 R/T AWD
I can turn off the AWD using the ignition key.
I don't know if there is a difference in the 2009/2010/2011/2012s
I have posted on other forums on how to turn off the AWD without having to pull any fuses.
When moving about 15 mph, turn the ignition to start and hold for about 5 seconds. You will hear 2 dings and both the traction control & ESP light will come on. About 10 seconds later the display will show 'service AWD' and then go off. You are now in RWD and it will stay in RWD until the car is turned off.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I don't suggest racing in that mode nor speeding.. it turns off ALL stability control, traction control and ABS support. I tried it at the track and my car went into limp mode instantly after trying to launch it hard in RWD. No go! had to shut off the car and start it back up about 5 ft. from the tree lol :D

Also tried a high speed run, and the car wobbled so much it was scary stuff!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone im new to the forum and i have a 2008 AWD RT and i want to try the fuse trick to disengage my front axel however i do not have a 48th fuse under the hood anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey everyone im new to the forum and i have a 2008 AWD RT and i want to try the fuse trick to disengage my front axel however i do not have a 48th fuse under the hood anyone have any suggestions?
I dont believe the 05-08 awd systems are able to turn off awd. I thought that these years have full time awd.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ryan is totally correct. only the 09+ cars can turn off the AWD. any one like me in an 08 back are stuck in AWD all the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi , i am new here looking at buying a 2013 sxt awd . i am looking to see if anyone has looked at putting a switch on the axle discount so it can be disengaged with out pulling a fuse and lossing other things on the car

21 - 40 of 57 Posts