Dodge Charger Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I dont believe the 05-08 awd systems are able to turn off awd. I thought that these years have full time awd.
Not only that, but they have the weaker t-cases that are prone to breaking with much less power if you're not careful.

The newer ones are controlled differently as well as built differently. I have launched it at 4k rpm with the ESC off and it actually still kicks in to save itself from destruction lol It meters the power output just enough so that it does not break anything while still putting out enough for a killer launch.

Gotta love AWD and a HEMI! rofl

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2009 R/T AWD
I can turn off the AWD using the ignition key.
I don't know if there is a difference in the 2009/2010/2011/2012s
I have posted on other forums on how to turn off the AWD without having to pull any fuses.
When moving about 15 mph, turn the ignition to start and hold for about 5 seconds. You will hear 2 dings and both the traction control & ESP light will come on. About 10 seconds later the display will show 'service AWD' and then go off. You are now in RWD and it will stay in RWD until the car is turned off.
Anyone know if there's a similar procedure in the pushbutton Chargers? Hold the button in for ~5 seconds?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think we have a similar option, sure wish we did though...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
There was a member on this site that actually disconnected his front driveshaft and DROVE like that for a number of miles! Not sure how the TCM/PCM would react if excess wheelspin would to occur and tried to kick it into AWD (?)

·
Registered
749 Posts
There was a member on this site that actually disconnected his front driveshaft and DROVE like that for a number of miles! Not sure how the TCM/PCM would react if excess wheelspin would to occur and tried to kick it into AWD (?)
I tracked it like this, and actually had poor-er launches. It sure is fun in a snowy parking lot, though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I drove like this on the high for an hour to work with no issue. Started the car up later in the day to go home and had no problem. I put the fuse back when I got home and haven't messed around with this since. Haven't had any problems at all so I don't think that it does anything bad to your car. My mechanic has a former Mercedez tech who told me the system is almost identical to that on the E class (I think that was what he compared it to - not 100% sure). His feeling was that there should be no issue. However since the car has been reported as slower, I wouldn't even bother doing it. It didn't feel slower to me, but the times speak for themselves. I would say leave it alone unless you feel like roasting some tires.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
What happens if you floor it, the system tries to engage the front diff and the pcm senses that the front drivetrain is not functioning? Will it throw a code? or worse.. lock up the auto trans and go into limp mode?

I was seriously considering converting into RWD for the summer and then AWD for the winter via removing the t-case, installing a rear driveshaft and just leaving the front diff alone (removing the front driveshaft obviously lol). I work at a shop, it would only take me an hour or so to convert it. Pretty sure it'll screw up the electrical systems lol

·
Registered
749 Posts
What happens if you floor it, the system tries to engage the front diff and the pcm senses that the front drivetrain is not functioning?
As far as I know....

Nope. With the fuse pulled, the PCM doesn't even try to engage AWD.

The AWD system is a two-clutch system. The primary clutch engages and disengages the transaxle. The secondary clutch varies the amount of power going to the front.

When the primary clutch is disengaged, the transaxle and driveshaft are completely decoupled. The primary clutch is designed to fail open, so with no power going to the transaxle control module, the primary clutch is completely disengaged.

Even brake stand launches in RWD will not, cannot screw up the borg-werner transfer case, if the transaxle is not engaged.

Info here: http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?p=1296147#post1296147

Me playing in the snow with fuse pulled:
2011 Dodge Charger R/T Playing in the Snow (AWD & Traction disabled) - YouTube

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Hmmm.... that's very interesting. I would still be worried about trying it with a high hp set up for the track. It would be interesting to see how well it does with drag radials or a bias ply racing tire out back. I have been researching ways in how to save the transfer case from sudden jolts during high hp AWD launches. When the supercharger goes in, it'll add about 150lbs. more torque to the wheels. I am considering a manual boost controller to help smooth out the power delivery to make it react more like a centri blower..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you think DiabloSport would be able to program "AWD disable" into their tuner? I think that would be great if they could! Do you think it be worth someone asking them for that feature?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hmmm.... that's very interesting. I would still be worried about trying it with a high hp set up for the track. It would be interesting to see how well it does with drag radials or a bias ply racing tire out back. I have been researching ways in how to save the transfer case from sudden jolts during high hp AWD launches. When the supercharger goes in, it'll add about 150lbs. more torque to the wheels. I am considering a manual boost controller to help smooth out the power delivery to make it react more like a centri blower..
Why not just get a centri blower?

Do you think DiabloSport would be able to program "AWD disable" into their tuner? I think that would be great if they could! Do you think it be worth someone asking them for that feature?
Yes. Yes to both questions.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Why not just get a centri blower?

Been there, done that. I owned one for two agonizing years. Apparently, they do not like the cold weather and I was forced to remove it and reinstall it every season :4-looney:

I came up with every solution in the book and nothing short of a bulb over night on the housing or an electric heating blanket would work. I did not want to bother.

·
Registered
2 Posts
have 2014 charger police car front makeing odd noise and putting drag on wheels., was told front dif oil was burn, so we replace that but still makeing noise was told was awd syanoide but i dont beleve this would cause the dif to over heat to point would damage it, but did notace on scaner that would not go out awd and when it did sound went away, now dealer ship screw me, on car fax some one recoreded wrong miles becuase this delaership said was tamper withm but was not if u read hole car fack milage maches on a servers report week after, and the dealer ships them self gave car fax the wrong milage, >? tell me what hell going on but could be causeing drag on front wheels , in cruse control on flat road will drop 1 mpr and then back up and dose this every 15 sec all drag is in front we replace wheel hubs we know that not the probem, so what is the deal and why cant u trust the dealer ships to tell u the truth, they wont even post there reports as they supose to under new laws,

·
Registered
2 Posts
well even though I was scared to do it and ive been scared every single day for the past week...I just finished driving around for 7 full days with fuse#14 pulled. With the exception of a 70 mile highway trip it was all city driving and I didn't experience any problem..well none that I know of anyway (knock on wood) What I did experience was a completely different car! Wow!!! Once I confirm for sure it's not an issue..it's going to be expensive on rear tires! I put the fuse back in today though because I could swear I could hear a faint noise coming from the front end. But maybe I'm just being paranoid because 5 others couldn't hear anything!
i had same probem and what i discover will scare you , first i have add cant spell well. but know cars, now i went to 4 people delt dodge all there lives just about every one said same thing, and they was so far from whar was going on, now we must start there is two versions of trasfer case one has motor lock in awd one dose not,. now this car so mess up , i got scaner that scanes every thing and i found if any of wheel sencers are bad will cause awd go off line, but this part sucks if sencer is out most likey as is the hub, these cars so power depended, power not voltage, you have ault test out fine, but if u load test it u find amps drops off causeing the computers to reset, front wheel disconted is not what enables all wheel drive, when u makeing a very close turn one wheel moves faster in awd they all most be at same speed, the disconent unlock the wheel so can run faster or slower, so what causeing awd probems , first check the battery, and i do meen load test it, if it is good, the ault is bad,
now heres probem, my car was lock in awd would not disconeck. burn out from dif, so i replace that and front wheel disconted but i was hereing a noise what was in trasfer case and awd light come on. i replace the ault and probem fix. but i to know why this going on, but dodge rater do recalls then to consider how fix this, there a reason why the ault going on off line, and when they had recall on cruse control they never found out what was causeing the probem so they just recoded the system so would not work as should well ault cause that as well, i know how fix this prob permently
and i found bran new ault put back in, oooo i called dealer ship ask if they check the part number see if part of recall, they told me was no list, they said how do we know u not swich them out, ?????
why is it when any one screws up there so fast to blame u> to dodge i know how fix all these probems why i fix them on my car, replaceing a part is not a fix gose much deaper i had change something to make it all work, when i made the change the 4,7 volts went up to 5 volts and ault putting out 13.5. , dodge all cars at some point will have same probems, all new cars over the years will have same probem, dodge u want fix this u get me a lawyer and contack pay my price i tell u how fix and this just not my openion i talk 4 others that agree, that done this all there life, now awd on my car can not be disbled by fuse it built in the trasfer case wich is 3 speed so speek one rwd only then there overdrive in this then front wheel drive or 4x4 it is only trigger in the rain, now the above probem will and can cause a battery to die or blow up, it can force all computers to reset, and u lose steering, and breaks for sec or two, but i added something to provent the computers from resetting, also note there is cluch in the ault the ault is disabled when u start it, as is ac so why dose these things needs be disable, heres the joke car runs on 5 volts as well., no 5 volts no computers, now i have not discover where 5 volt comes from, and i beleave that just few amps, and well under power system, but fixing this wont fix the prob power probem is what no one would ever expeck, in short short cuts in wireing is extreamly dangouse dodge but what u did offer on table i know how fix awd prob permentley
well even though I was scared to do it and ive been scared every single day for the past week...I just finished driving around for 7 full days with fuse#14 pulled. With the exception of a 70 mile highway trip it was all city driving and I didn't experience any problem..well none that I know of anyway (knock on wood) What I did experience was a completely different car! Wow!!! Once I confirm for sure it's not an issue..it's going to be expensive on rear tires! I put the fuse back in today though because I could swear I could hear a faint noise coming from the front end. But maybe I'm just being paranoid because 5 others couldn't hear anything!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts