Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As is customary these days, I watched a number of YouTube videos about what a brake rotor job entails for our cars. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that the SXT AWD at least for the 2014 MY (presume 11-14 is the same?) uses different bolt sizes (and presumably torque specs). I know we're a minority compared to the R/T AWD folks here, but I hope this info helps someone not have to research as long as I did.

Front Details:
Rear details:

Will update as this progresses. I've never quite experienced such a disconnect from what I find online to what reality is, as far as car (or appliance!) repairs go.

Obligatory freshly polished photo from a bit ago:
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190614204945715_Modified.jpg

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm missing something. Progress on what? A brake job or brake upgrade? Brake rotor job? Rotors only?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that was my bad. I was tired and didn't elaborate. I had to pause mid-way through a front pad and rotor job and decided to post initial info while handling the kiddos. Two kids under two in the house will do that to a guy.

Essentially the "updates on progress" are going to be updates on any other weird discrepancies I run into while doing the rear brakes later on down the road. The front brakes are complete now and work great. The main thing I ran into was the bolt difference on the fronts and the trouble finding the right pads/rotors for this model compared to the basic SE or R/T or even SRT8.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Copy that. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boring update, replaced the rear rotors and pads as well. Nothing unusual or painful to report. Guess it was only the fronts where I ran into differences from all the youtube videos.

Unfortunately, there is still a squeal under low to moderate brake pedal pressure. I've done the bed in procedure a few times now on back country roads, and I know I greased the contact points properly. Only thing I can think of is either the Hawk HPS pads in the front are prone to squeaking, or something to do with the parking brake is causing it. The issue does seem temp-sensitive. The squealing doesn't really start until I've driven for ~15 minutes. Googling seems to indicate the Hawk pads at this point.

That said, I will give them credit because I notice a significant increase in brake "bite" compared to other pads I've used in the past. Debating what to do for next steps to fix the squeal without losing performance.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Permatex Disc Brake Quiet. Been using this for decades.
Pull your pads and apply a couple coats on the backs. It don't have to be so thick you cant see through it. Let it tack up for 15 minutes or so and reinstall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The spray got here, so I pulled the pads, cleaned them off and reapplied silglide on the ears and tried your suggestion. Still had noise.

Bought a set of OEM grade pads instead of performance and installed them the same way. Now I have no squeal but less brake performance.

Any suggestions on performance level pads that will be quiet, since Hawk let me down?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Never tried hawk. I run Power stop top cop Z37 pads.
Decent cold bite, and great performance. Low light color dust.
Give the your current pads a couple hundred miles to mate up.
I upgraded to the BR9 package and it took at least 300 miles to find their top level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Permatex Disc Brake Quiet. Been using this for decades.
Pull your pads and apply a couple coats on the backs. It don't have to be so thick you cant see through it. Let it tack up for 15 minutes or so and reinstall.
Most brake pads come with anti-squeal shims these days. Do you use this with the shims? They recommend only using it on pads without those. The last six sets of pads I have bought over the years all had these shims pre-installed.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
With the shims. Never any noise. Never tried removing them and applying it.
I used it back in the day before shims were supplied with success.
My brother immediately removes shims and applys it with the same success.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts