Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you buy your car in a state that requires a front license plate and then move it to a state that doesn't, you're presented with an issue. You either find some fake license plate to go in its place, or you drive around with holes in your front bumper. I guess the third option would be taking it to a body shop or plugging the holes yourself and carefully repainting.

Point is, you're going to have to spend some money to really make it look right. But what if you don't want to eat up your mod budget on repairs? I present the front license plate delete.

This mod or repair or whatever you want to call it cost me less than $20. Two plastic rivets from Lowes were about $0.50, the touch-up paint was $10, and the can of clear-coat was $6.

I sanded the rivets with a fine-grit sandpaper, painted them with two coats of touch-up paint, and then two coats of clear-coat. A also waxed them after a few days of drying/curing.

I drilled out the existing holes in the bumper with a quarter inch drill bit and carefully deburred the holes. Then you just press in the rivets that have already been prepared.

The pictures don't quite do it justice, but the results look really good. The rivets fit in snugly and are flush. My only regret is not taking a little more time to carefully paint around the edges of the rivets. Other than that, it almost looks like they were meant to be there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mr9o27rcam6d7p/Photo Dec 10, 20 19 14.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/plot4s3jhmswslb/Photo Dec 10, 20 21 47.jpg

One last photo shows what it looked like before plugging the holes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvbwdxk1ifd77fs/detail 11-03-13 (6).jpg

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
GJ man, I hate front LP holes! When I bought my car, I told the dealer if they brought it out with the front LP bracket installed, I would not buy the car, even though California requires a front tag, I have never run a front tag in the 28 years that I have lived here and have never been ticketed for it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I will be doing this mod very soon, if they were European plates I wouldn't mind. Cannot stand state side plates!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Very nice Reps to you for a great idea!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice job Master! Reps for a job very well done!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It's a pretty simple mod to pull off and the results speak for themselves. I was hoping to snap a better picture outside after work today, but it was snowing sideways! I'll see if I can get a better one tomorrow though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cali here also with no front plate or holes..
My co-worker was just pulled over for no front plates.. Im hoping I can get skipped..

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Looking good with the fill-ins! I like it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have yet to pt front plates since i got the car in Aug 2012.... NEVER WILL!!!!!!!

*BANGING FISTS INTO WOODEN WALL* lol

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
My buddy that sold me the car (salesman at a dealership here) told them to not install my bracket, even though it's required in NY. I bought a Skene Design bracket instead that has worked pretty well. Had to drill a couple holes on the underside of the main bumper cover piece, underneath where the original dimples are, used the self-tapping screws and it comes with double-sided tape to help out. Went on pretty easy, though it was a little hard to get to those holes without a stubby screwdriver, and it looks really clean - very simple. Looking to get some longer screws to fit it so I can put a frame around it, but it's working fine for now. Best part is that it'll never show those holes. I'll just have a heck of a time getting that tape off if I ever decide to change things up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts