Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I complain about the Stupid Knob shifter in my 2017 Durango R/T. I missed out on a 2018 with a T Shifter by a few months when I picked up the R/T in July of 2017. The only thing I don't like about my Durango R/T is the stupid shift knob.
Fast forward to a week ago I got my wife a 2019 Charger SXT AWD in Plum Crazy Purple. No HEMI available in the AWD models. So she was slightly dissapointed but the 3.6L engine has plenty of power IMO for her. It's fun to drive and amazingly comfortable. I really like the car.
Back in 2017 right after I got my Durango We went to Livermore CA and stayed at Wente Vineyards for a nice get away trip. I rented a 2017 Chellenger R/T and had a blast driving it. I slightly remember the T shifter getting warm after driving for awhile but I just loved having it over the Shift Knob in my Durango.
So now with having the Charger for a week now and I have driven it several times I noticed how warm the T shifter gets. I'm old school and like to rest my hand on the shifter and where the Gear indicator is the Light inside warms the handle up to the point where I was getting slightly annoyed. If you keep your hand on the leather side to the right, it's fine but it feels better in your hand to grip that thing. But then you feel the heat from the Light and it kinda sucks.
I wonder if the bulb is a standard non LED? I wonder if anyone else noticed this and doesn't care for it? I also wonder if a build swap if that is possible would correct the heat issue.
My Wife likes it as she is always cold and in the winter I can see the warmth from it being a welcome thing even for me like the heated steering wheel Which the Charger has a Cold weather package. But during the summer months I kinda don't like it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I agree, I also dont like the shift knob in the Durango. As far as the shifter being warm, I've never had that sensation. I've driven as far as from Maryland to New York, and North Carolina and never had the shifter warm any. I like you rest my hand on the shifter while driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously? You didn't notice the heat coming off the Shifter indictor area? It's like the lights are standard bulbs not LED's which I think don't give off any heat or very little. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i figured this out. When you rest your palm on the glass side the heat from your hand transfers to the shifter and it retains it. The leather side does this ever so slightly. I drove the car and didn't rest my hand on the shifter and it wasn't warm when I checked it.
So I think having the glass on the shifter is stupid. It's actually slightly uncomfortable when gripping it due to the retainment of heat from your hand. A custom cover is in order

1 - 8 of 8 Posts