Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a puzzler.
While driving from RI to NC today, my Garmin nav screen suddenly stopped displaying any maps. It happened after I switched the radio from satellite to FM. Basically the GPS function works fine; the car knows where it is, how fast I'm traveling, etc. etc. But the map will not display either in full-screen mode or in the smaller window that shows in the radio screen. All I get is a blank screen. I tried the "restore defaults" option in the Garmin settings. I stopped the car and turned it off for a moment. Neither worked. (Basically I did everything I could think of to try and get the map back.)
Anyone see this issue before? Any thoughts on what to do short of taking it to a dealer -- especially since I'm 700 miles from where I bought the Charger.

I've had the car three weeks and it has been an absolute champ until today. I'm assuming it's a software glitch that may clear up after the car sits overnight or can be reset easily without ripping out the unit from the dash.

Image attached shows what I see.

TIA.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering my own question here. The map screen came back after I'd shut the car off for a while. So it appears to be a transitory glitch. FWIW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Garmin blank screen on 2012 Dodge Charger R/T MAX

RIChargerRT11, I totally appreciate your post as it was most useful to me today. I have a 2012 Dodge Charger R/T MAX and today my Garmin system did the exact same thing as yours had done. I also tried to turn off the car for a few minutes and restart it only to find my Garmin map missing, but all other details still there. So, I decided to check the Charger forum after the Charger manual was of no help. That is when I found your post and read it and decided it was at least 15 minutes from the time I got home to research the solution. Well, I went out to my car and low and behold, once the car started my Garmin map was back on the screen. Thank you so much for your post. :TU:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It's a glitch. My 2012 R/T did this once and once shut down/restarted the map was back. I did take it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. I've known of several that have had this issue and maybe your dealership will have a solution. Its been an issue for a while.. so maybe they have something new documented at the dealerships.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's happened to my wife once in my car, but I've never seen it happen.

It's a computer, after all, and sometimes you have to reboot them. Who knows what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just runs out of RAM occasionally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a glitch. My 2012 R/T did this once and once shut down/restarted the map was back. I did take it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. I've known of several that have had this issue and maybe your dealership will have a solution. Its been an issue for a while.. so maybe they have something new documented at the dealerships.
Thank you all. It does seem that this is an issue with the Garmin nav. Next time I take my vehicle to the dealership, I will ask them what they have to say. Personally, I like the navigation system that came in my 2006 Chrysler 300C better than the Garmin in my Charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts