Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, likely cruising at 60mph. I got 30.2 mpg on a 400 mile trip with my 5.7L by keeping it on cruise at the speed limit, and not getting on it. But it takes lots of restraint!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're essentially right, but I was rolling about 70mph, no cruise control, and I was not on interstate, but rather was on some county back roads.

I was particularly impressed with this number because I did have to navigate a few small towns and traffic lights. It wasn't a case of "drive 174 miles at the same speed".

Obviously, I didn't buy this car for the fuel economy, but it's nice to see that I can get good mileage if I don't go crazy with the gas pedal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have essentially no highway driving for the majority of my trips. Work and play. I’m averaging about 15.8 mpg. The times I have taken decent trips on the highway I was up a little over 19 mpg

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When my friends ask me what kind of mileage I get with my Scat Pack 392...

View attachment 91858
That is super impressive! Best I ever did with my 2013 Daytona R/T 5.7 with STP (3.06 rear) was 28 mpg on a 200 mile trip. Recently averaged 26 mpg on a 1200 mile trip from VA to KY and back over Memorial Day weekend. I was pretty happy with that considering it’s 131,000 mile, 6 year old car. Mostly gets about 22 mpg everyday driving. Still runs like new and the Beats sounds great!
1D63927C-008C-4857-A99B-CA8A14217206.jpeg

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I just took a trip from Altoona Pa to Royersford Pa which was a 440 mile round trip in my SRT. It was a BEAUTIFUL day for a ride (Work related). My SRT got 26mpg round trip keeping the cruise control set no higher than 5mph above set speed limits. I use to do a little better at 27-28mpg on a trip before I put the 275/40r20s on. The wider tire on all corners cause the mileage to drop a little. I must drive mine pretty easy around town, I don't think I've seen below 17mpg on the overall average and I watch it pretty close each fill up.

What irks me a little, My wifes SXT AWD only does slightly better on trips where I thought it would do alot better. Now in town and shorter trips the SXT does do better at like 22-25mpg depending on conditions. I have to assume since it's AWD thats why the mileage is down a little from what I've seen other people report with the v6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I needed to dispose of my previous commuter car, I was able to sell the family and safety aspects of the Charger to my wife. Seeing all of the awesome mileage from the V-8’s, I wish I had gone that route. My 6cyl doesn’t get much better mileage. Most of my commute is freeway (LosAngeles) and driving as conservative as I can, I’ve averaged 27.9 over the last 1300 miles.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I needed to dispose of my previous commuter car, I was able to sell the family and safety aspects of the Charger to my wife. Seeing all of the awesome mileage from the V-8’s, I wish I had gone that route. My 6cyl doesn’t get much better mileage. Most of my commute is freeway (LosAngeles) and driving as conservative as I can, I’ve averaged 27.9 over the last 1300 miles.
I got an indicated 30.2 driving from Jacksonville, FL to Charlotte, NC by cruising at the speed limit with cruise control on, not gunning it to pass anyone, and taking it easy on the on-ramps. I know from experience that just 4-5 episodes of flooring it can drop my gas mileage by 5 mpg. Of course this is very stressful for me and in general I drive like I want and get 25-26 on a trip. Ha!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That is an excellent average. You would not average 27.9 mpg daily driving with any Hemi especially commuting around LA. Your average would probably be low 20’s.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That is an excellent average. You would not average 27.9 mpg daily driving with any Hemi especially commuting around LA. Your average would probably be low 20’s.
Best I can do commuting from west San Jose to Palo Alto right around 22... I used to do a bit better but I guess I gained a few pounds in my right foot. I did take a trip up to my brother’s house a while back and reset a trip odo for it. Approximately 600 miles round trip, that includes going through San Francisco on the way up and crossing the Richmond and going south through Oakland on the way back. Way up was great and had 29 mpg on the trip up but ran into crazy traffic just south of Santa Rosa on the way back and was down to low 20s by the end of the whole trip. Last six weeks I was laid off and have been almost strictly city driven and was lucky to stay around 17 lol.

TLDR: Low 20s in LA is fucking amazing. You know what you’re doing for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't do many long trips (26 months / 8400 miles), but has anyone else noticed a significant mpg bump from pure 91/93 gas over 10% ethanol top tier gas?

Last road trip of 320 miles, using cruise control at speeds from 65-80 (lot of 80), I was 4mpg better on the return trip with E0 93 over the usual Shell 93, for 27.2mpg. Unlike James above, I didn't hold anything back and hit a top speed of 116 dusting a Mercedes who sat in my blind spot and wouldn't pass for like 8 miles.

Exactly the same conditions / speeds both ways, though as mentioned I do have an extreme tendency for burst passing so it probably could have been higher.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't do many long trips (26 months / 8400 miles), but has anyone else noticed a significant mpg bump from pure 91/93 gas over 10% ethanol top tier gas?

Last road trip of 320 miles, using cruise control at speeds from 65-80 (lot of 80), I was 4mpg better on the return trip with E0 93 over the usual Shell 93, for 27.2mpg. Unlike James above, I didn't hold anything back and hit a top speed of 116 dusting a Mercedes who sat in my blind spot and wouldn't pass for like 8 miles.

Exactly the same conditions / speeds both ways, though as mentioned I do have an extreme tendency for burst passing so it probably could have been higher.
Pure gas will improve mpg in any vehicle while the ethanol blend will improve power at the expense of mpg.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm getting 26.5 mpg in my 6.4L Scat Pack. I set it on Economy mode and I'm good to go as long as I don't step on it. Sometimes that can be hard to do!

·
Registered
29 Posts
driving to work on mainly the interstate I’m between 19-20 mpg. When I was just driving around the city I was between 15-16. Most of this is in Eco mode. It would not last in Sport. Street is a little worse then Eco.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts