Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FB7667B7-9F73-4800-BC74-168A569737D9.jpeg
Hi all, new to the forums. Just bought my first Charger. 2019 R/T Indigo Blue.

What gas do most use? Can you use regular unleaded or have to use premium?

5.7L Engine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you look in your owner's manual, you'll see that the 5.7 can use 87, but 89 is recommended.
Also, we have an excellent search feature; it's always good practice to see if something has already been covered.

I'll typically go with what the recommended octane is.

welcome from Louisiana.

Exco

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran Mid-Grade or Premium in my '15 R/T. Premium was always lower priced at Sam's Club than Mid-Grade at Gas Stations. Read a thread before that I guy used Regular on road trips. Tried it once and my 5.7 ran like crap the whole tank. Back to Mid-Grade on road trips after that. I have only put Premium in my '18 392. And plan to only go Premium.

Welcome.. I dig that Blue!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
89 is recommended. But try a tank or 2 and see what results you get with 87. My 2012 R/T I ran 87 a few times and didn't see much difference.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you look in your owner's manual, you'll see that the 5.7 can use 87, but 89 is recommended.
Also, we have an excellent search feature; it's always good practice to see if something has already been covered.

I'll typically go with what the recommended octane is.

welcome from Louisiana.

Exco
We’ve always used mid-grade gas in all our hemi powered vehicles for that reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I run 89 in my '18 RT. I have accidentally put 87 in it twice. One partial tank and one full tank. Noticed no major difference in mileage or performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 93092 Hi all, new to the forums. Just bought my first Charger. 2019 R/T Indigo Blue.

5.7L Engine.
I use middle grade about every 4th fill up in my Hemi, do not notice any difference but should help keep the engine cleaner. If you can find non ethanol use it.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
View attachment 93092 Hi all, new to the forums. Just bought my first Charger. 2019 R/T Indigo Blue.

5.7L Engine.
Welcome! That color really pops! I use 89 in my RT, for the reasons others have listed above. Unless your car has had a 91 octane tune or the like, running higher than 89 is just wasting $$. Save the $$ for more mods! Lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
I believe the 392 and hellcat require premium gas. Since my '19 Daytona 392 is not a daily driver but basically a toy I use 93 plus a little boostane

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome! That color really pops! I use 89 in my RT, for the reasons others have listed above. Unless your car has had a 91 octane tune or the like, running higher than 89 is just wasting $$. Save the $$ for more mods! Lol
Damn, all the stations around me have 89 as the premium.
I believe the 392 and hellcat require premium gas. Since my '19 Daytona 392 is not a daily driver but basically a toy I use 93 plus a little boostane
What’s the point in doing that?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have mostly run my 2013 Daytona R/T Road and Track with 87 octane with no performance issues. I put so many miles on it that the extra $0.30/gal just seemed too expensive when the manual says 87 is OK to use. It has almost 134,000 trouble free miles. I have run 89 in it at times when I felt guilty not using the recommended octane. There is no noticeable difference in driving it or in any sounds coming from it. Now if I am going to take it to the track, I will let it get below an 1/8th tank and fill it up with Sunoco 93. It runs pretty good with whatever octane is in it!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have mostly run my 2013 Daytona R/T Road and Track with 87 octane with no performance issues. I put so many miles on it that the extra $0.30/gal just seemed too expensive when the manual says 87 is OK to use. It has almost 134,000 trouble free miles. I have run 89 in it at times when I felt guilty not using the recommended octane. There is no noticeable difference in driving it or in any sounds coming from it. Now if I take it to the track, I will let it get below an 1/8th tank and fill it up with Sunoco 93. It runs pretty good with whatever octane is in it!

If there are no noticeable performance differences you have noticed then why run 93 at the track? Kind of just made the argument that there are noticeable differences

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Racing is different. I said there is no noticeable difference on the street but If I am going to notice any difference, it will be on the track. If I am going to run it at wide open throttle and doing everything I can to get a good ET, I’ll use 93. I also let my tires down to 24 psi in back and pump them up to 45 in front, which I don’t do for normal driving. I take the spare out and run it with under 1/4 tank of gas for weight savings. This was my best ET with the original tires and no mods except a CAI. I don’t really know if the 93 octane made a difference but I wasn’t worried about saving .30/gal to race it.
FCED0BFF-7942-4AB6-8200-F037D34938D5.jpeg

·
Registered
424 Posts
^^^^ That about sums it up BilletAG. Like I said in my earlier post, you gain 14 hp on 89 or higher. Therefore, for the fastest E/Ts, 89 or higher is the way to go.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Damn, all the stations around me have 89 as the premium.

Damn, that stinks, Slickwilly. Lots of 91 octanes around here, and locally, VP Fuels sells 93 for just 20 cents more than 89. If I ever get it tuned for 93 octane, I'll gladly spend the extra 20 cents! But it's a stock tune right now.

Reactions: Slickwilly613
1 - 20 of 20 Posts