Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I got a gascap light on the dash on my 07 Charger SXT. I bought a new gas cap found by mfc part #. After installing the new gas cap and driving a couple of miles the gascap light disappeared. However, a few days later I got a CEL and a code P0455 (Evaporative emission system leak detected - gross leak/no flow).

I tried to record live purge data with my predator while driving but it stayed at 0.0 g/ps

Is there a way to test the purge valve without a pressure gauge?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
They use a smoke test to locate the source of the leak in the Evap Purge system. Could be a leak anywhere in the system, the Evap Purge solenoid, NVLD switch, etc ...
NVLD = Natural Vacuum Leak Detection

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. I'm actually considering buying one of those smoke machines on ebay for $100, just because I enjoy the process of fixing things myself. Purge valve would be the easiest to replace. Is NVLD the pump attached to the evap canister in the rear wheel well?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Is NVLD the pump attached to the evap canister in the rear wheel well?
Yes.

The NVLD was used first and later was replaced by the ESIM (Evaporative System Integrity Monitor). The ESIM is very similar to the NVLD. The ESIM mounts directly to the vapor canister. I'm not sure which model years have the NVLD or the ESIM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question. Can I hook up the smoke machine directly into the intake manifold, or would it be better to connect it to the EVAP service line? I've watched a couple of videos and in one video a tech explains that you have to close the "vent solenoid" with one of those fancy scanner tools. Is that necessary on a Charger?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
According to the Service Manual, when testing for an Evap emissions leak ...

Fuel tank should have between 20% and 80% of fuel tank capacity
Connect the smoke supply hose to the service port
Start the smoke and make sure smoke has filled the EVAP system (Remove the vehicle fuel cap and wait for the smoke to exit. Once smoke is indicated reinstall the fuel cap.)
Continue injecting smoke into the system for an additional 60 seconds. Continue injecting smoke at 15 second intervals, as necessary.
Use a white light to follow the EVAP system path and look for the source of the leak; indicated by exiting smoke.

tech explains that you have to close the "vent solenoid" with one of those fancy scanner tools
To test the operation of the various solenoids (e.g. purge solenoid) they use a diagnostic scan tool to open/close switches, circuits, etc... You will not be able to perform those diagnostic tests.

Reactions: MrLeftCoast
1 - 6 of 6 Posts