Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit, 392 LSD diff, AFE, No cats 2.5 exhaust Dynomax bullet muffers
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 71-year-old motorhead that has not built a hemi since the 60s yes old gen 1 steel head...
I never lost my love for them but could not afford to play the game as the years went on.,

I sold my motorcycle and toys now ready to play on a limited budget.

I am not afraid to build an engine, did my 1st when I was 16 years old ...
But mostly motorcycles since then, also a computer geek so not afraid of electronics

I’m hoping I can buy a 2008 or 2009 charger or Chrysler with high mileage for under $2500 and possibly re-build and add a stroker kit the block To have some fun with....

I have a 10 to 12k budget... ok stop laughing....

Rebuild and shift kit auto transmission $$...??

I see that stroker kits with all forged parts for $2300 to $2700
Need to boil block and have.0030 over boar , cylinders honed ... etc $$$..??
Redo valves and or replace valves and assume new springs... $$...??
cam & lifters $$...??
Gasket kit ... timing chain... etc $$...??

Not sure if the stock FI setup will work or just change injector size and map & re tune?
Headers..with. 3” exhaust all the way back...
Biggest rims and tires I can stuff on rear....????

So it is a budget build ... hopefully get 440hp @ crank if more even better ???

Will stock differential and axels work?
What is going price on a posi chunk? ????
Thinking also 3:90 to 4:11 gears ?????

And later maybe 4 link etc.... to hook it up

I’m sure there’s a lot I am forgetting...
I would really appreciate any help and guidance ......
and advice on planing this project and if it’s just not feasible I appreciate the truth ..

Too old to waist my time...
Tony in Florida
upload_2019-3-26_20-47-2.jpeg

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
You will want the 2009+ model years for the 5.7L Hemi. FCA redesigned the engine for 2009 (code named Eagle). The Eagle engine and heads are a big improvement over the pre-Eagle engines. Eagle engine also has VVT (variable valve timing). You can do a MDS delete and install non-MDS lifters when you do the cam.
You will not need a 4-link as the rear suspension is already a 5-link. Unless you buy a SRT, the R/T models came with open-differential. You will want to install a limited-slip differential when you change rear gear ratio. If you install 3:90 or 4:11 gears you will not be driving on the highway much. These gears were fine with the 3-speed TorqueFlite (A-727) but the new Chargers (circa 2009) have a 5-speed auto transmission (NAG1 W5A580) and the transmission gearing is different (1 Gear: 3.59, 2 Gear: 2.19, 3 Gear: 1.41, 4 Gear: 1.0, 5 Gear: 0.83). Standard Charger has 2.65 or 2.69 rear gears. R/T Road&Track, SRT, etc ... have 3.06 or 3.09 rear gears ... and 1st gear is short lived. Below is a link to a calculator for estimating the engine RPMs with different rear gear ratios.
Also, when building your engine be sure to get a custom tune. DiabloSport is the preferred programmer and HemiFever Tuning is one of the email custom tuners. You use the DiabloSport to log the engine running and email the log file to HemiFever. HemiFever emails back a custom file to install on the engine using the DiabloSport. The new Hemi engines have a PCM (powertrain control module, aka ECU/ECM) and the PCM uses the Speed Density table method for controlling/tuning the engine. The values in the Speed Density tables have to be updated in order for the engine to respond to any modifications made to it. Other parameters will also need to be updated in the PCM for MDS delete, rear gear ratio changes, etc ...
Everything is software controlled. You make a change ... you update the software to match.

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit, 392 LSD diff, AFE, No cats 2.5 exhaust Dynomax bullet muffers
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thank you for all that good info..
*2009 or newer
* diablo sport... hemifever for for tune
lastest custom model I assume?
* gears ratio change may not be nessary for street use

Not sure I understand the term open differential?
And does the chrysler 300c use the same type differential?

Reason I am including the Chrysler 300 C is because they seem to be a lot less money as a donor car and engine, though I like the way the charger looks better. But considering this is a budget build every dollar is important and May also be needed to upgrade suspension etc., or more added mods to the engine.

I am still concerned if the 5.7 fuel injection and manifold and rails will work with the stroker motor, or do I need to swap for a 6.4 fi or aftermarket unit?

Sorry if some of the questions are stupid, but I’m trying to add up all the $$$$cost before I move and jump into a build.

Apreaciat the info
Thank you

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Not sure I understand the term open differential?
And does the chrysler 300c use the same type differential?

Reason I am including the Chrysler 300 C is because they seem to be a lot less money as a donor car and engine, though I like the way the charger looks better. But considering this is a budget build every dollar is important and May also be needed to upgrade suspension etc., or more added mods to the engine.

I am still concerned if the 5.7 fuel injection and manifold and rails will work with the stroker motor, or do I need to swap for a 6.4 fi or aftermarket unit?
Open differential (rear) is an old term, means no limited slip (think "sure-grip").

If you intend to stick with a cheap eagle engined LX you're pretty much in the narrow window of 2009-2010. Luckily anything you'll want to do is equally doable to either model. You will play hell trying to find an eagle engined LX for under $2500 unless the engine is blown.

An eagle 5.7 manifold will work just fine on a stroker, in fact Mopar puts it on some of their 392 crate engines in place of the active runner intake. The eagle 5.7 injectors or the same as the original 6.1 SRT injectors. They'll do fine unless you're going as large a displacement as possible and possibly adding some kind of power adder, then upsizing might be a good idea. The eagle 5.7 and apache 6.4/392 use the same fuel rails, just different injectors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far not finding any under $6k w 200000+ miles

Was hoping... lol .. maybe a worn out police package?

Thanks for the info onthe FI system...
that makes it a simpler project Not having to scratch up a different manifold etc.

Thanks I appreciate it

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at a 2011 5.7 w claimed broken cam
complete but no front accessories.... ugg

Can that be swapped if I do not have the original oem ECU?
If so what will i need to acquire in electronics to make it run?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.. I picked up my project car...yeahhhh

2014 Dodge Charger police pursuit w 79k mileage

Mileage is low enough to just do some simple mods and enjoy it for awhile
Headdres, 21/2 cat less exhaust
K&N hi flow filter in OEM box
Hemifever tune...
and later a 373 posi swap + bigger back MT et tires and rims

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Good score, I was just never a fan of the dash or column shift. I just converted my truck to floor shift because I'm so not a fan lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya floor shifter is also on my list...
I have a couple lights on abs & traction control and cruise control
won’t initiate
I am hoping lt is a fuse or a harness loose when they removed the police equipment...?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ya floor shifter is also on my list...
I have a couple lights on abs & traction control and cruise control
won’t initiate

I am hoping lt is a fuse or a harness loose when they removed the police equipment...?
Pull codes, I'm betting you either have a speed sensor out or it may be as minor as some dirt/crap in between the sensor and tone ring on your rear axles, as that is exactly what happens with both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts