Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to tell what gears ya have in a 08 getrag without opening it up??? there is no paper tag on mine. .. thanks

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You can determine the gear ratio of a rear-wheel drive vehicle when the factory axle tag is missing. The method of calculating this without disassembling the rear axle is as follows:

Step 1
Chock the front wheels so they can't roll forward or backwards.
Slide a floor jack under the differential and raise it until the rear wheels are off the ground. Place jack stands under the vehicle on both sides of the vehicle.

Step 2
Crawl under the vehicle and locate the drive shaft where it attaches to the front of the rear axle. Place a 6 to 8 inch length of masking tape longitudinally on the drive shaft where it will be easily visible from the side of the vehicle near one of the rear wheels.

Step 3
Place a piece of masking tape on the edge of one of the rear tires.

Step 4
Rotate the tire by hand one complete revolution using the piece of masking tape on the tire as a guide.

Step 5
Count the number of revolutions the drive shaft turns (using the masking tape attached to it as a guide) to one tire revolution. For instance, if the drive shaft rotates three and a quarter turns to one tire rotation, then the rear axle gear ratio is 3.25:1.

Remove the masking tape from the drive shaft and tire. Raise the rear of the vehicle with the floor jack and remove the jack stands. Lower the floor jack until the rear wheels are on the ground.

Reactions: 68 Barracuda

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
This have anything to do with that thread over on LXF
No, but it's a common technique to figure out a differential gear ratio when the tag is missing. Technique also works when scavenging differentials from a salvage yard.
What's going on over at the LXF site?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
He started a thread about this very subject and it blew up because he has an 08 and stated the Getrag was his factory installed diff. Other parties did not agree. As far as I know the Getrag wasn't factory installed until 09 but I'm not gonna call the guy an outright liar because I also know stranger things have happened, though no other proof was offered than "the VIN says..." and "I'm staring at it" lol. HIGHLY unlikely a Getrag of any kind was factory installed in an 08 Charger, but like I said, stranger things have happened. Looks like some of his angrier posts were taken down or he deleted them lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts